1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Box turtles don't like greens?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by AprilOneilTurtle, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AprilOneilTurtle

AprilOneilTurtle New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Orange County
    I've had my box turtle since Thanksgiving. So far I haven't seen him eat her greens! I've only discovered he loves worms & strawberries. I've tried carrots, broccolis, kale, lettuce, bok choy, bananas & other berries, still no. I've prob only seen him bit a lettuce once or twice, that's all!

What other recommendations are there?
    Also does she not poop? or does she eat her own stool? I have not seen any since i've brought her home.. o_O
    IMG_1439.jpg

Please Check out my other thread: Age & Male or Female?
    https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/male-or-female-whats-my-age.171531/
  2. Meepasaurus

Meepasaurus New Member

North Carolina
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Our little Eastern Box Turtle was a rescue. He is a hatchling, so we feed him meal worms for a protein rich diet, but we supplement with romaine or any other leafy green. He prefers the meal worms to anything else and only takes small bites from the romaine - but he's still a little guy (only about 2" shell). He did take about a week to start eating once we brought him home. He was very dehydrated and didn't poop for several days - so we gave him regular soaks in his water dish and even put a very small amount of water in the tub and let him roam - the exercise with the water helps to get things "moving". You will probably find that once your little one is well hydrated, he will have a better appetite.
    AprilOneilTurtle likes this.
  3. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    From what I understand, mealworms are not good for turtles. Maybe try red worms or earth worms.
  4. Meepasaurus

Meepasaurus New Member

North Carolina
    Oh goodness! We were told by all our local pet stores to feed him meal worms, which he loves! We'll have to look into alternatives!
    TammyJ and Cheryl Hills like this.
  5. Cheryl Hills

Youngstown, Ohio
    Check on our site here in the box turtle section. There should be something in there.
    AprilOneilTurtle and Meepasaurus like this.
  6. Cheryl Hills

Youngstown, Ohio
    Meepasaurus likes this.
  7. AprilOneilTurtle

Orange County
    Oh I should give her some time time then, she is prob still adjusting to her new environment.I can't wait until i see stools! :)
    Meepasaurus likes this.
  8. AprilOneilTurtle

Orange County
    Well good news, my Box Turtle is now eating regularly and pooping! I guess all she needed was to adjust to her new home. I was so happy to see her poop after a week of having her! I almost believed that turtles did not poop, because who knew turtles can hold in their stools for that long! She is now eating her greens as well, Lettuce & Bok Choy, YAY! She's always excited to see me and know when is feeding time :tort::D
    TammyJ and RosemaryDW like this.