? on red footed tort

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
image.jpg image.jpg Is this a cherry head or a red footed tortoise? And will the carapace grow/align normal over time? I never saw this on my Redfoots (carapace) when they were babies or other baby torts & they were never this red on the head. This is my friends tortoise & was very curious. Thanks for any additional information.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I think a plastron shot can help identify that baby.. that or knowing the origin of the parents. That adorable baby is a split scute, which is just cosmetic and in no way affects its health. It will continue to grow that way. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help further.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I think a plastron shot can help identify that baby.. that or knowing the origin of the parents. That adorable baby is a split scute, which is just cosmetic and in no way affects its health. It will continue to grow that way. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help further.
My friend bought it at a pet store & I belived she talked to the breeder who deals with that store or the owner. I'm sure she could contact the pet store to find out! That's a good idea!! Thanks Pfara!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is a red foot tortoise . The scutes on her back will be like this its whole live . It's said to be from high incubation temperatures thus meaning more likely a female . Most likely a northern red foot .

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
That is a red foot tortoise . The scutes on her back will be like this its whole live . It's said to be from high incubation temperatures thus meaning more likely a female . Most likely a northern red foot .
Thanks Mike :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Totally agree, I read a thread where the topic were split scute babies, and what causes it... determination in the end was that it's caused by higher temps, and therefore more likely to be female :D
He's a cutie :p

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Interesting stuff...I'm gonna have to research that later. In the pic the tort is much less colorful than in person. I assumed the tort was a red foot but this has so much more color on its head. I was starting to wonder and wanted opinions from it here :) however the scutes I had no clue!! Thanks again!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
This poor tortoise didn't make it...I wish my friend would of talked to me about her situation sooner & joined the forum :( it was such a cutie, I watched the little girl for a week. She stopped eating for a month & her enclosure was loaded with bugs.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Too bad that the owner didn't take care of this tort. It was a pretty CH Redfoot

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Too bad that the owner didn't take care of this tort. It was a pretty CH Redfoot

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
I know tort dad :( I told her to join numerous times & what to do to help her! I'm devastated about the loss, I feel like its my fault!!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I know tort dad :( I told her to join numerous times & what to do to help her! I'm devastated about the loss, I feel like its my fault!!
It's not your fault but I hope she doesn't get anymore

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Man, poor little baby tort. I wish your friend would have let you help out. Was such a pretty little tortie. :(