On patrol

tony2sheds

Hi guys ,my sulcata ,Terry spends a lot of time patroling the perimeter of his enclosure ,i know this is normal ,but as he walks so close to the side ,his shell crashes against the side with every step ,i am a little concerned this will eventually damage his shell ,i know his shell is hard but will it stand up to the constant battering.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is what they all do. My sulcata has scraped the stucco off the side of the house just by walking back and forth. His carapace is scraped on the sides. Fact of life.

You can place the odd cinderblock along the trail causing him to have to go out and around, but he gets right back in the groove and walks right next to the wall, fence, whatever.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What size sulcata? What size enclosure? Indoors or out? A picture might help us to better understand what is going on.

tony2sheds

HI guys its an indoor enclosure made of wood ,he is about 8 inches in length ,he weighs around the two and half pound mark,i tried to put his calcium block and other things in the way but it seems when he goes on patrol nothing will stop him deviating from his route,the enclosure its self is 6 feet by 2 foot so he covers quite a distance when he decides to have a stroll .