OMG!!! I'M FLIPPING OUT!!! (dog chewed?)

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Thats a shame what happened to your tort :(. Be careful how you fire this guy, you dont want him coming back out of spite to hurt your tortoise for costing him his job.

On a lighter note, i own 4 dogs. 1 german shepherd, 1 terrier, 1 lhasa apso and a mutt. They sometimes get into the backyard and the tortoises are always there, the great thing is that none of my dogs pay any attention to my torts, i made sure to make it clear that the torts were to be ignored. I was worried that my german shepherd would harm my torts when he got older but with a bit of training now he doesn't even pay any attention whatsoever to them. I know that they shouldn't be together but sometimes they just get into the backyard :eek:. I dont worry at all when my dogs are there. I actually feel that they are safer that way, because there are birds of prey and opossums in my area as well as racoons.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
If this young man does not respect a living animal, he will not respect his employer's business. He needs to learn a hard lesson. Fire him. He'll thank you later….or go on living a fool's life.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
He's doing much better. He's been getting back to his old self. I'm still looking for that goop or spray stuff. But so far, no signs of infection. He's totally covered in mud these days so not sure if thats helping or hurting. But when I clean him off, the wounds don't are looking better. The leg wound isn't red anymore.
Those "scales" or armor looking bumps on his front legs, do they have a name? Also, will they grow back? Anyone know?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
If this young man does not respect a living animal, he will not respect his employer's business. He needs to learn a hard lesson. Fire him. He'll thank you later….or go on living a fool's life.
I totally would… if I thought that he intentionally meant to hurt Tank. I believe that this was not intentional. He didn't realize the consequences of his actions. Stupidity yes. Now if he had INTENTIONALLY hurt Tank or any of my animals he would be a whole hell of alot more than fired! I know how it makes all of us feel, but to him he just "accidentally let the dogs into the backyard", he didn't think anything would happen. I've come to the realization that MOST people would think this. Many I have talked to who are non-tort keepers have this same attitude "Well, he didn't know, you can't fire him over that". It's bizarre to us, but they don't get it. I get "what could the dogs possibly do to that "rock" or why would they?" It's frustrating.
He knows if it happens again his a$$ is grass. AND this incident has made an impression on the other guys out there who may not have been taking this gate situation seriously. For now, I will let him continue to work his butt off and feed his kids.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Wow. I missed alot of these comments over the past few days. One thing I want to be clear on. When the guy made the "it's just a turtle, what's the big deal" remark…. he did NOT say that to ME! If he had said that to me he would've been punched in the face, fired and had better have gotten out of there before I had time to get my shotgun!!! That was a comment my brother-in-law, who lives behind the shop, manages the gate mostly, and was talking to the guy about it was told. My bro-in-law told me about his attitude and what he said. He also loves Tank, so he did let the guy have it and I'm sure this helped the idiot realize that we were ALL serious about this. That was a Saturday. The "incident" happened on either Thurs or Friday. So I had time to calm down before confronting him on Monday when he came back singing a different tune about how sorry he was and he would never intentionally hurt an animal and he didn't realize because (even though we told him on hire) he has never actually seen Tank. I showed him the pictures and he said he would never let it happen again and truly seemed sorry.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Glad to hear the guy sees the importance of your rules now. And if tanks wound doesn't look infected I wouldn't worry about that cream and spray anymore. I use it just for the infection fighting anti-bacterial agent it contains, keeps the infection causing critters, flies, etc out of the wound and let's it heal up. It sounds like tank packing the mud in it has had the same results. My mom always said dirt was good for kids. LOL. Sounds to me like he is going to be just fine and that you handled the situation just as needed.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I'm glad Tank is doing better and the guy realizes what he did was wrong. I can relate to the attitudes one gets from keeping turtles/tortoises. I keep getting the stupid turtle soup/flush the turtle down the toilet jokes, which I have never found funny.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Thats a shame what happened to your tort :(. Be careful how you fire this guy, you dont want him coming back out of spite to hurt your tortoise for costing him his job.

On a lighter note, i own 4 dogs. 1 german shepherd, 1 terrier, 1 lhasa apso and a mutt. They sometimes get into the backyard and the tortoises are always there, the great thing is that none of my dogs pay any attention to my torts, i made sure to make it clear that the torts were to be ignored. I was worried that my german shepherd would harm my torts when he got older but with a bit of training now he doesn't even pay any attention whatsoever to them. I know that they shouldn't be together but sometimes they just get into the backyard :eek:. I dont worry at all when my dogs are there. I actually feel that they are safer that way, because there are birds of prey and opossums in my area as well as racoons.
Be careful with that! My dogs have been around Tank MANY times. Supervised. And of course there is the occasional time when we had left them, usually when he was burrowed. Nothing had ever happened before. They would corner him and bark at him once in awhile, but that was the extent. Until this happened. Now, I will NEVER again leave the dogs anywhere near him. Not even supervised for some time as this has traumatized poor Tank. I NEVER would have expected them to do this either. But they did.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee

There is always a first time for everything!! My boys are very well behaved as well, have been trained not to bother the cat or the ferret I use to own and they too ignore the torts, but you never know when they might change their mind and want to check them out, or decide to chew them. That's a risk I just wouldn't be willing to take. For example, I have a cat inside. My boys come in all the time, go right by the cat like she doesn't exists but when their outside and a stray comes along, it's usually a chase down. The cat runs, they start chasing the cat, and I start chasing them usually yelling at them as I run after them. Now I know a huge sulcata isn't going to take off at 15mph like the stray cats but let's say they advance toward the dogs instead of retreating into their shell, that might be all it takes. I personally just wouldn't allow them to mingle without me being right there to keep things safe. The Sudans and my boys have to share my yard but to ensure everybody stays safe, my boys stay in their kennel until evening time then I put the Sudans in the hatchlings enclosure and let the boys have the yard for a few hours. The Sudans are in a secure place and the boys get some run room. Everyone is happy, healthily, and safe.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Hoping Tank makes a complete recovery. People like that make me very angry... I'd chain and padlock the yard. And be very tempted to take a bat to the non caring fool.
Just my reactions speaking...

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I'm not sure what to make of his leg. It doesn't appear to be infected. Like I mentioned before, he's been covered in mud as a result of all the rain.
I couldn't get a good pic of the leg wound. I know that it hurts him when I touch it. It appears, white, sloughing and macerated. :([
ATTACH=full]96277[/ATTACH]
Crappy pic... I know.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410978313.007969.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410978313.007969.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 16