OMG A Monkey took one of my boxies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
No i am not kidding... I live on the Island of Borneo and have a large pond just outside the house.
In the pond I house 18 box turtles and RES.

Then this morning my daughter screamed out "mum Bob is outside the pond walking on the grass". He definitely cannot get out ... not possible......

11ipsi1.jpg

So i quickly went out to get Bob before he wandered too far.
Then saw the monkey sitting in the tree with a coconut (cos we have heaps of those here)... didn't pay much attention about it....

Put Bob back in the pond and started counting...... 14, 15, 16, 17............. oh no... one missing.

Then the monkey came back towards the pond..... it was then I realised it hadn't been a coconut the monkey was holding!!!

8wkugk.jpg

I chased the monkey away, searched but no sign of the little box..... it is a jungle right next door.

Still looking, but just hoping the little box is ok.

Oh and there is now a large net completely over the pond...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
That is pretty crazy, I am sorry about your poor boxie.

turtletania

5 Year Member
We get the monkeys around lots... and have been here for 9 years.. but they have never bothered the turtles before!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Wow where do you live? Please post more photos. And tell us about your home.

So Sorry about your turtle:( !

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Gosh .. that sucks .. " ya know the only Monkey I've caught messing with my torts is the Neighbors' kid!....Havn't posted his pic~ ~~ *yet*~ ~~... (heh) .....:p
Hope your boxie gets home safe ...keep us posted...

JD~:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I thought raccoons were bad, the only thing I could think of worse than coons, would be monkeys.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah. I really doubt a net would keep a monkey out. They have hands just like ours and would be able to get in under the netting.

That's too bad. I hope the turtle is ok. I wouldn't think a monkey would eat a turtle, but I really don't know them.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think that you might be in for a problem. The picture didn't look like a macaque,which is good, maybe a leaf eater? The only thing that I can think of would be an electric fence surrounding the turtle pen. You can get a solar operated one.My concern would be if they decide that they like the taste of your box turtles, they'll come back daily. Are you in Malaysia or Indonesia? Most of the native monkeys are endangered, so controling them may be more difficult. Do your neighbors feed them?

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
OMG goodness... I was expecting a picture of a plush monkey with your turtle! Sorry to hear about your turtle.

I would build a solid frame top for the enclosure with steel cloth or chicken wire screwed into it...

Where do you live? I have to say I am quite interested when it comes to jungles and wildlife.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
WOW, That is a new one. Great idea about the net. Darn Monkey!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
O no :( I am so sorry about this situation, I really hope the turtle is ok. I keep my fingers crossed, please keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.