Oli And The Weather

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I have noticed that Oli (my Greek tort) tends to fall asleep when it is hot, extremely hot and remains wide awake when the weather is freezing cold. This has worried me, as I do know that the opposite should take place, or am I mistaken?

Today for example, it was nice and hot so I decided to take Oli for a walk in the lovely, striking sun. He did not move much, though he usually "runs" around happily. Moreover, he decided to stop and....he fell asleep in the really hot sun! Is this normal?

The issue has kept me worried, therefore I would very much appreciate your help with an explanation to the above problem asap.

Thank you.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The opposite of Hibernation is called Aestivation. Aestivation is what reptiles do when it's too hot.

I am not surprised, given where you live, that Ollie feels the need to avoid the heat.

Even here in the UK if we gave have a very hot summer day, approaching 30C, Joe will sleep it out and then be active at night when it's cooler.

Your nights are probably very hot too and Ollie may not want to know.

Make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. Keep soaking him. He will be fine.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The opposite of Hibernation is called Aestivation. Aestivation is what reptiles do when it's too hot.

I am not surprised, given where you live, that Ollie feels the need to avoid the heat.

Even here in the UK if we gave have a very hot summer day, approaching 30C, Joe will sleep it out and then be active at night when it's cooler.

Your nights are probably very hot too and Ollie may not want to know.

Make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. Keep soaking him. He will be fine.
Thank you SO MUCH your prompt reply as well as your help. I was relieved to read your post.

Nights here are somewhat chilly, and not as hot as one may think. Temperature reached about 33 degrees C during the day and now it has dropped to only 12 degrees C.

I soak OLI once, twice and when it's very hot three times a day, and I spray his enclosure so as to avoid dehydration in a desert climate which is extremely dry.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
12C is not cold by most people's standards :D

He's got so hot, he's got enough charge to be active as the temperature drops. He will be fine. :)

You're doing the right things. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
12C is not cold by most people's standards :D

He's got so hot, he's got enough charge to be active as the temperature drops. He will be fine. :)

You're doing the right things. :)
Great to hear (or rather, to read) that! The little brat kept me so worried. Mind you for this country 12 degrees C is rather cold when considering that it'll be the end of April tomorrow.;)

Once again, thank you for your help.:)