Okra And Jute Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Are okra and jute leaves good for totises,specifically Sulcatas?
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nobody:

Both are edible, however the jute leaves are pretty bitter.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
emysemys said:
Hi Nobody:

Both are edible, however the jute leaves are pretty bitter.

For some reason,my Sulcats love jute leaves inspite of the bitterness.Anyway,how often can I feed jute leaves and okras in week to my Sulcatas without them getting any health problems?
Thanks.

River14

5 Year Member
I have no idea but I know when I cannot put my hatchlings to grass due to monsson rains they are extremely happy with okra munching it to nothing in seconds.
Its very high in fibre and vitmines and minerals etc so i would think ideal for any tortoise, though mine eat hay and hibiscus and flowers, marigold dandilion (dried-partly sticky) etc as well under cover. Its worth looking at the food value of okra its incredible.

I havent had any problems with stool. But again its only a part of a mixed diet. I dont use other supermarket greens at all. Its fresh grazing when ever possible or the above.

PS OKra has also a load of Oxalic acid which apparently reduces calcium absorption???? So dont just feed that even though its high in every thing else.

River14

5 Year Member
By the way the most touted of all foods the dandilion has also got loads of Oxalic acid???

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I think I read somewhere that the stalks contains high oxalic acid... but i'm not sure.

Didn't know okra has oxalis, my tort loves them! Do you feed the seeds?

geekinpink

5 Year Member
yes okra is a native here, one of the most common veggies found in the market :)

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
SILVERSTAR said:
so would you say that stars eat it naturally in the wild geekinpink???

HI DARYL,

Rule of thumb is provide as many variety of Health food as you can to your tortoise. Star and Radi tortoises eat many thing in the wild that we as human beings think it is unhealth. For example, Radi eats Pink baby mouse once a while, could you imagine? ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.