Okay Russian tortoise?

RorTortMac

Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge, MA
My kiddo has fallen in love with this tortoise, available through a reptile store that claims to be captive-bred. They look ok to me, clear eyes and active, but wondering about the one she’s chosen (aka feisty) in the front of this picture. Any thoughts on the shell/pattern? Not sure shell pattern is related to health but the texture on the one she picked is a bit different than the one in the back.

We would do a rescue, but they don’t have any available and she has her heart set on a Russian. We don’t want a baby as we’re beginners and want to make sure we can meet it’s needs. Any thoughts would be welcome!787CEC54-369C-4FB4-9E25-449410ACCEC0.jpeg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Russian Tortoises are a great starting tort... they're tough, outgoing, loaded with personality, and relatively easy to care for.

I think if the one your kid has picked out seems active and aware and moves around and has clear eyes, then I'd go for it... after you set up an enclosure for the new tort, have read Tom's excellent care guide thoroughly.

Craigslist has brought a number of rescue Russians into my life, and home...

Good luck, keep reading and asking questions!

Jamie

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Agreed - lots on Craigslist depending on where you live. They aren’t rescues as mostly people are “rehoming” them at crazy sales prices, but you won’t be supporting the live capture trade. Don’t believe anything a pet store ever tells you, they only have incentive to tell you what makes you spend money. If they told you it was wild caught they’d risk losing the sale.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The one selected is looking out through the glass and wants out :). Russians are aka escape artists. Ensure you have a good sized enclosure with correct heat, light, diet, water and you will be rewarded. Do not buy a friend they are happy solo. Let's us know what you decided and ask questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please advise the store owner to not put Russians together in a small store enclosure. Tortoises don't do good in pairs. The one furthest back I would guess is the one getting bullied.
I do highly doubt they both are captive bred though.
The active one looks wild caught the other could be captive and thats why the shell looks nicer and why it's the one getting bullied.

RorTortMac

Cambridge, MA
The one selected is looking out through the glass and wants out :). Russians are aka escape artists. Ensure you have a good sized enclosure with correct heat, light, diet, water and you will be rewarded. Do not buy a friend they are happy solo. Let's us know what you decided and ask questions.
Absolutely agree. We’re working on the enclosure but plan on biggest we can do. We’ll also have a weather-dependent outdoor space.

RorTortMac

Cambridge, MA
Russian Tortoises are a great starting tort... they're tough, outgoing, loaded with personality, and relatively easy to care for.

I think if the one your kid has picked out seems active and aware and moves around and has clear eyes, then I'd go for it... after you set up an enclosure for the new tort, have read Tom's excellent care guide thoroughly.

Craigslist has brought a number of rescue Russians into my life, and home...

Good luck, keep reading and asking questions!

Jamie
I have read all of Tom’s posts and am doing my best to come up to speed. We are commuted to doing this, and honestly I’ve been obsessively researching which is how I ended up here. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Absolutely agree. We’re working on the enclosure but plan on biggest we can do. We’ll also have a weather-dependent outdoor space.
Remember an adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot. Larger is possible.
Also you can brumate/hibernate them in winter but you shouldn't do it the first year you own it. You will need to have it for the first year or so yo know if its healthy and able to brumate safely.