Okay, Mali šŸ‡²šŸ‡± is a beautiful large Sulcatta. Sheā€™s lived with myself and 1 little rescue. I know some ideas are they are solitary animals,

Obbie

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I need to find a new home for my lady Sulcatta, I forgot how old I was when I rescued her. My hesitation is, sheā€™s a darling tortoise, I am afraid someone will want her to breed, or I donā€™t want her to be yelled at. Am I just SOL, or can I get her a proper home ? Help, please

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises don't understand being yelled at, they are like a dog
Once she is under different ownership, she is out of your control whether they breed or no, again, she's not a dog!
The best chance of her not breeding is giving her to someone that doesn't have any other tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need to find a new home for my lady Sulcatta, I forgot how old I was when I rescued her. My hesitation is, sheā€™s a darling tortoise, I am afraid someone will want her to breed, or I donā€™t want her to be yelled at. Am I just SOL, or can I get her a proper home ? Help, please
First, why would someone yell at a tortoise?
Second, tortoises can't hear, even if someone did yell at them.
Last, what's wrong with reproduction?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I think the OP is saying they like advice on how to place in a home where she would be a beloved pet, rather than either abused or just used as Breeding stock.

to the OP: it is unfortunate but once out of your hands you wonā€™t really know what happens to them. Minnesota is a *really hard* place to have a Sulcata healthily. Can you prove photos of her and her enclosure.

you may want to try to find a rescue group in your area, but the most important thing is to find some who actually knows how and is able to keep them healthilyā€¦

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome, pics would be nice.
Approximate age and weight also
Thanks Ray

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sulcata are very popular. And most people searching for such a large tortoise have some idea of what will be required to keep such a tortoise. Unfortunately some also will try to get one on a whim. Or with just re selling it in mind. Or have totally unrealistic expectations of what will be required.
Ask questions. Lots of them.Get photos of the prospective new owners enclosure areas. Try to visit them prior to choosing and decide who will be the best candidate for your beloved tortoise carefully.
A lot of times when I receive an unwanted tortoise. I'll make certain agreements with the person surrendering the animal. And allow them to visit my property.
It's perfectly normal. And I think totally reasonable to anyone with good intentions.
Don't release him/her to anyone you don't feel comfortable with. You'll have options.

Last edited:

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Obbie, I hope you fine the perfect home for you tortoise šŸ¢. Sorry to hear you have to give her up. And the question on Tortoise hearing, I agree on both responses. So I'm going to tell my wife to stop telling me to shut up or I'm going to wake Sammy!

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
No wonder my noisy house doesn't other the tortes. I worried so much my kids would drive them nuts.
Tom I have also notice they pop back in their shell if I come from behind. No matter if I start talking to them or not. If they see me first no big deal. Pretty wild.

Obbie, I'm sorry you're going through this. It is never easy to give up a pet you loved. Big hugs

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@Obbie
I reccomend that you make a new posting in the FOR SALE threads section.
Including information about your concerns. Your requirements and your location.
Then you can begin to find the best forever new home.
This is just the general SULCATA tortoise section.
And so far, hasn't been very helpful as far as your original issue goes.

Last edited:

Obbie

Minnesota
First, why would someone yell at a tortoise?
Second, tortoises can't hear, even if someone did yell at them.
Last, what's wrong with reproduction ?
@Obbie
I reccomend that you make a new posting in the FOR SALE threads section.
Including information about your concerns. Your requirements and your location.
Then you can begin to find the best forever new home.
This is just the general SULCATA tortoise section.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry it took me so long to wake up and realize we have taken Obbie's thread so far off topic. So sorry @Obbie .

From this point forward please address Obbie's concerns about finding a new home for his tortoise.

When I have more time I'll sort out the posts about hearing and start a new thread with them.