Ok this is bad... (not moving)

My hermans is not eating or moving much at all. 2-3 days ago she would move enough to seem fine. But now she just doesnt even move enough to hide at night. I have a red footed under almost the exact same conditions whose fine. The hermanns also hasnt grown much at all. I tried to force feed her but couldnt get her to. Ive had her for 6months and she hasnt grown at all. Please give me all your suggestions

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Redfoots and hermanns have very different care requirements.

How are you housing the hermanni?
What are your four temps?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using?
UV? What type?
What do you feed the tortoise?

Ok i have a 75 watt bulb for heat I have an open half foot wooden box with 6f by 6 f radius
I feed romain and green leaf
also have supplements have some kind of uv not sure

Hector108

If you are housing the herman with high humidity like i suppose you are housing the redfoot. It could have gotten a ri. Post how exactly you are housing them both

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
are these tortoises housed together?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok i have a 75 watt bulb for heat I have an open half foot wooden box with 6f by 6 f radius
I feed romain and green leaf
also have supplements have some kind of uv not sure

What are your temperatures? Do you have night heat?

You've been feeding lettuce for six months and no UV? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

I have Uv I have been feeding all types of lettuces with tommatoes and pepers on ocassion. i have uv No night heater but our house stays relitvly 70 around night. my tortoises are not housed togeth I know not to . Its a box with coconut bedding and some pine wood ships mixed in. i change their water daily they have plenty of places to hide. tons of calcuim. I feed them some pellets a while back.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
It sounds like your tort might be too cold.

Any chance you can provide more heat at night?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please post pics of your torts as well as enclosure, so as to enable us to help you SOON.

Don't worry you'll get the help you need. We all began at ZERO.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Hermann's should only get weeds and greens like dandelion, turnip greens, escorole. Tomatoes and peppers are not good for them.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Could you please show pictures of the tortoise and the enclosure and look up the type of your uv lamp?

It sounds like your tort might be too cold.
Any chance you can provide more heat at night?
According to my experience 70 at night is more than enough, the nights in their habitat are much colder most of the year.

OK so I'm unable to get a camera Burt what I did was put here in my incubator and she's perked up so much more. She still isn't moving necasariky but when I touch jhere arms she jerks the!m in again. She didn't do that two days ago. Hoping for the best.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Has she been eating?
And 70F is too cold for your redfoot. They also need high humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Torquis Tortoise:

It sounds like you haven't been caring for the tortoises as you should, or feeding them a good diet. Please re-read the care sheets. Even though you haven't mentioned the RF being sick or lethargic, you still need to re-read the care sheet for RF too. Make any necessary adjustments to your care and I'm pretty sure you'll start to see a great improvement. Since the Hermanni perked up when put in the incubator, that tells me it wasn't being kept warm enough. Are both of these tortoises babies? Babies require a bit more work to keep them healthy.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/