Ok. New temp question - help please

Jami

Hi. So I've been messing with the merc vapor lamp to get my temps under control. I was checking for the umpteenth time and realized the it seemed strange that the dirt beside my basking spot tile was almost 10 degrees lower than the basking spot. It's the tiles that are registering in the mid to upper 90s. So. I took the tile off and waited an hour and took the temp of the dirt and it came up 89. So do I keep it like this or change it? Dover likes the tiles. He eats on one, basks on one, and hangs out in the corner on one. He doesn't spend a lot of time basking on the hottest one. I don't want to cook him! What are your recommendations? Should I just let it be the way it is? I thought I was back to perfect. 95 basking and 72 at farthest corner.
Thanks! Here's a pic of the tiles...they're small.

image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking spot temp up upper 90's is fine. Even higher is fine for a basking spot. If he likes the tiles, I would leave it.

Jami

The basking spot temp up upper 90's is fine. Even higher is fine for a basking spot. If he likes the tiles, I would leave it.
Ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't cooking him in there...I was afraid the tiles were absorbing too much heat. Thanks!!!