oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachamelia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, South Carolina
I was wondering what you all put on your sulcata's shells? I see the turtle wax in the petstores but a member of the costal carolina herp society said he always used a tiny but of mineral oil (which I tried today). I just don't want to do anything to hurt my girl...is this ok?

Also, should I leave the light off of her after rubbing it on?

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
rachamelia said:
I was wondering what you all put on your sulcata's shells? I see the turtle wax in the petstores but a member of the costal carolina herp society said he always used a tiny but of mineral oil (which I tried today). I just don't want to do anything to hurt my girl...is this ok?

Also, should I leave the light off of her after rubbing it on?

I personally use VitaShell once every few months.

http://www.petco.com/product/109459/TetraFauna-Turtle-VitaShell.aspx

As long as the shell is clean before hand, I haven't found any problems with it.

There are a lot of varied opinions on the stuff, and there are big threads here on such, but I would personally vouch for the product. If I remember correctly, one of the big boys here (Walking Rock maybe?) swears by it.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I've done really well with Vitamin E skin oil from walmart. Keeps the growth lines white and soft longer. Also helps with the flaky dry skin shedding that makes my poor little sulcatas' head itch.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachel:

Whatever you use, don't use a whole lot of it. You want the shell to be clean first, then apply the product, then take a soft cloth and polish most of it off. If you pack it on thickly, the dirt will adhere to it and might cause your baby to heat up.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Oh yeah I should mention I just brush it on with a soft toothbrush during a soak so there isn't a bunch of excess.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
:) We use VitaShell as well on all of our 3 leopard babies 1 to 2 times a week. I will vouch for it as well.;):tort: We just got baby Kitwana so he/she just got started on it. Been putting it on Tikii and Javari since they came home, there shells are smooth and look great.:p

swimqt

5 Year Member
Northern California
Are these oils necessary or is it more of an aesthetic thing? And is it mostly for young tortoises or adults too?

grooby

5 Year Member
029.JPG001.JPGi use vitashell you can find it at petco maybe once a week, right after a soaking and let him run around for a while and i just wipe off any excess with a paper towel but i rub a lil on his skin as well and the top of his head he loves it :)

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.