Oh No a soft spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, florida
So this morning while playing with Donnie I found 2 intentions on the top of his shell. I poked it with my nail & it seems soft.
I've had him 3 months. He was maybe a month old when I got him.
I'm gonna take him to the vet Monday if I can find a vet by me that treats these kinds of babies. I give them calcium every time they eat. i also leave a block of calcium bone in there home all the time. A little worried. Any advise? Plus how can I find a vet without calling everyone in the phone book.
-nikole

Attachments

• image-1390976091.png
    image-1390976091.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 81

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If it was the area of the darkest color, that's brand new growth which will be elastic for awhile.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
It's the dark parts around the 3rd bottem light triangle part on his back. It's two intentions on both sides.
I feed him now every other day and the calcium every other feeding maybe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Biff Malibu said:
Calcium every day is too much.

True.

tyler0912 said:
I Heard Calcium Not Needed Comes Out In Urine And Urates?

Also true, but it interferes with the absorption of other trace elements and minerals and that's why it's not good to supplement with it every day.

moderndoubt said:
It's the dark parts around the 3rd bottem light triangle part on his back. It's two intentions on both sides.
I feed him now every other day and the calcium every other feeding maybe.

Your tortoise should be getting fed everyday and twice a day if he eats it all up. Even better would be to let him free graze in a planted outdoor enclosure.

IF there is a problem with your tortoise, there is really not much a vet will be able to do. The cure for a soft shell, IF that is what's going on there, is sun, a good diet, and calcium and mineral supplementation. Use caution that your tortoise doesn't over heat in the sun. Shade should always be available.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
calcium wont do any good unless he gets sunlight or proper lighting...
look into liquid calcium to add to his soaks.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
You do not need sunlight to utilize calcium. For the purposes of this context, cholecalciferol (D3) supply is what is important for utilization (which will undergo further conversion to calcifediol and calcitriol by the liver and kidneys, respectively). This can be had through adequate UVB exposure and/or through dietary supplementation. The biological effect is the same. Sunlight, of course, has multiple benefits, but everyone keeps talking about calcium so I will roll with that.

Like Yagyujubei said, the growth margin is pliable (and sensitive). Avoid poking it with your nail.

The frequency of calcium supplementation is neither "too much" or "too little" by default in terms of times per week. Too much and too little also involve the total amount per period of time, so none of us could begin to determine if too little, enough, or too much is being provided based on the information that has been provided so far in this thread.

Calcium competes with magnesium, but magnesium also competes with calcium by definition. Both can be simultaneously absorbed until receptor site saturation takes place (which is not something you need to be concerned with). It is not an all-or-nothing scenario like some folks seem to think. Because I like to provide a great variety of micronutrients, I use Miner-all as my multi-mineral supplement of choice to supplement food and then provide pieces of cuttlebone for the animals to sample at will.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
IF there is a problem with your tortoise, there is really not much a vet will be able to do. The cure for a soft shell, IF that is what's going on there, is sun, a good diet, and calcium and mineral supplementation. Use caution that your tortoise doesn't over heat in the sun. Shade should always be available.

Totally agree...natural sun, natural sun oh and more natural sun time is soooo important as well as a good diet and room for exercise is equally imperative, in my opinion anyways :D

calcium wont do any good unless he gets sunlight or proper lighting...

Sing it sister :p

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
So now that all that has been said I'm gonna guess that it's due to the fact they are growing. I hadn't noticed that in fact my baby's are indeed GROWING. They eat better then I do with lots of light & room to run around.
I measured them and they are BIGGER! They are warm and heavy. Enjoying soakings & grasses.
The soft spots he has my other 2 baby's have as well and they all are fatter.
So this could be the reason.
Thanks guys.
You folks are always helping me out.
-Nikole

Status
Not open for further replies.