Oh Lordy! Another problem!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is it possible to block access into the burrow ? First you would need to make sure no babies are in it. Maybe something as simple as a pillow in a plastic bag could be stuffed into it to block it off. after a while the cat may loose interest in the burrow and find another cool area to hide in.
Yes! I think that is the easiest thing to do! I used a roll of shade cloth to block Chug back in early spring. That might work again.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
As if falling trees, fire ants, and the heat aren't enough...a cat has moved into one of Chug's burrows!
I've never seen it before 2 days ago. It seems to be spending the hottest part of the afternoon in there. I'm praying there are no kittens. I looked in with a flashlight and couldn't see anything, but the only way to see all the way to the back is to lay flat on my belly, and it's just too hot. I'd never get back up! LOL!
Hopefully the cat will just stop coming around when the heat wave breaks. I'm fearful of putting Chug out there if it's still here when the ant treatment is finally done.

When our prior neighbor moved they were so kind enough to leave behind two females that are very good at producing kittens....so several years later, likely a bunch of kittens later, some of who made it and set up shop in other neighborhoods and some that nature recollected...we have two females that are from one of the original females (and boy was their mother a great hunter and cleared our entire acre + of gophers and squirrels that were trying to set up shop under and near our house and in exchange I would put food out in a bowl in the am and the pm and they would partake of the water spots for the birds and shade from the trees and when it rained they would take shelter where possible on the porch and under cars and such). There was no way to catch them and I certainly did not blame them for the errors of their prior humans. So years later one of the females had another set of kittens ...then the high heat hit....and one day I noticed that the mother cat placed all seven of her kittens in the above ground hide I have set up for the old man tortoise who has poor eyesight...so I first was worried that the mother would be super protective and damage the old man....but did not do anything but be certain to check on the old man to make sure no damage to his began...and none did...after about 10 days the mother cat moved the kitten one by one to an unknown location...tortoise was fine.

I also had a couple of grown cats take up residence in a burrow that was no longer being used but was created by one of the CDTs here...the cats took refuge in the burrow when a coyote began patrolling for the cats....and I also noticed a few kittens awhile back, they would dive into that burrow and would be safe...the tortoise did not seem to care and the kittens did not care either...I mean, CDTs share their burrow with rattlesnakes and the like...so, if your tort is not harmed by the cat I would guess that the cat will eventually move out of the spot and not be a problem...just my opinion.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I’m almost certain that some times, with a B.B. gun that’s powerful enough, the B.B. will go through skin and get stuck. That can cause a lot of vet bills, and just harm in general. Is your son’s B.B. gun weaker than the ones I’m thinking of?

Airsoft gun is my deterrent for my bird feeders. Lower power than a B.B. gun, lower sound, shoots a plastic biodegradable ball and the one I have is made of clear and orange plastic so can’t be confused with a real gun. Just reaches out touches and scares.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
When our prior neighbor moved they were so kind enough to leave behind two females that are very good at producing kittens....so several years later, likely a bunch of kittens later, some of who made it and set up shop in other neighborhoods and some that nature recollected...we have two females that are from one of the original females (and boy was their mother a great hunter and cleared our entire acre + of gophers and squirrels that were trying to set up shop under and near our house and in exchange I would put food out in a bowl in the am and the pm and they would partake of the water spots for the birds and shade from the trees and when it rained they would take shelter where possible on the porch and under cars and such). There was no way to catch them and I certainly did not blame them for the errors of their prior humans. So years later one of the females had another set of kittens ...then the high heat hit....and one day I noticed that the mother cat placed all seven of her kittens in the above ground hide I have set up for the old man tortoise who has poor eyesight...so I first was worried that the mother would be super protective and damage the old man....but did not do anything but be certain to check on the old man to make sure no damage to his began...and none did...after about 10 days the mother cat moved the kitten one by one to an unknown location...tortoise was fine.

I also had a couple of grown cats take up residence in a burrow that was no longer being used but was created by one of the CDTs here...the cats took refuge in the burrow when a coyote began patrolling for the cats....and I also noticed a few kittens awhile back, they would dive into that burrow and would be safe...the tortoise did not seem to care and the kittens did not care either...I mean, CDTs share their burrow with rattlesnakes and the like...so, if your tort is not harmed by the cat I would guess that the cat will eventually move out of the spot and not be a problem...just my opinion.
Thank you for this! I've been reading about others with basically the same situation. The general concensus is that even feral mama cats are not inclined to bother torts.
This is comforting info to me.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you for this! I've been reading about others with basically the same situation. The general concensus is that even feral mama cats are not inclined to bother torts.
This is comforting info to me.
We have had feral cats in our yard almost constantly ever since our dog died. We have had several litters born here. They don't bother Charlie. At first he would get next to them, I think to intimidate them, but now he just ignores them. I've never noticed if they've gotten into a burrow of his. Right now, he is using his "summer house," which is just a little house open on one side. I think I may have seen cats in there before but I think if Charlie wanted to go in, he would and the cats would clear out. I'm surprised that no cats have ever tried to go into his heated night box during the winter. They don't even lay on top. Maybe because it is too close to our house.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We have had feral cats in our yard almost constantly ever since our dog died. We have had several litters born here. They don't bother Charlie. At first he would get next to them, I think to intimidate them, but now he just ignores them. I've never noticed if they've gotten into a burrow of his. Right now, he is using his "summer house," which is just a little house open on one side. I think I may have seen cats in there before but I think if Charlie wanted to go in, he would and the cats would clear out. I'm surprised that no cats have ever tried to go into his heated night box during the winter. They don't even lay on top. Maybe because it is too close to our house.
I'm so glad to hear this! I feel so relieved!

Diamond

phoenix,az
Please do not use a BB gun, That can kill them depending on where you hit it!! You can get a humane cage for cats, catch it and have animal control pick it up and or take it to the humane society.
I have cats and mine are indoors. I agree they can be annoying when the owners just let them wonder off to make a mess elsewhere.
An animal is just doing what they do and should not have to suffer from because the owner is careless. Could be feral as well.
Hope the cat vacates the burrow.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Please do not use a BB gun, That can kill them depending on where you hit it!! You can get a humane cage for cats, catch it and have animal control pick it up and or take it to the humane society.
I have cats and mine are indoors. I agree they can be annoying when the owners just let them wonder off to make a mess elsewhere.
An animal is just doing what they do and should not have to suffer from because the owner is careless. Could be feral as well.
Hope the cat vacates the burrow.
I will not do anything to harm the cat. I have 2 of my own, both totally indoor.

SulcatAZer

Buckeye, Arizona
This is not a problem, and quite natural. If not a stray cat, you may also have a snake down there, or various lizards.
The tortoise is not fazed at all. Tortoise burrows are quite vital in a healthy desert, and many a critter may take advantage.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is not a problem, and quite natural. If not a stray cat, you may also have a snake down there, or various lizards.
The tortoise is not fazed at all. Tortoise burrows are quite vital in a healthy desert, and many a critter may take advantage.
It is a cat, and I saw it again yesterday morning. I'm not sure if it was in a burrow again, but it was in Chug's enclosure. Now that the ants are gone, Chug is back outside, and the cat did not harm him. I think there will be no issue between them.

Shortytorty

Ohio
When it rains it purrs. lol

I'm having to keep a watchful eye out for owls around here. Never used to see any until I started taking Ghost out for his daily exercise.
If you put rainbow reflective ribbon in ghost's area it should scare them off. I had to do this because of owls and Hawks coming for my chickens. It worked great.

Shortytorty

Ohio
As if falling trees, fire ants, and the heat aren't enough...a cat has moved into one of Chug's burrows!
I've never seen it before 2 days ago. It seems to be spending the hottest part of the afternoon in there. I'm praying there are no kittens. I looked in with a flashlight and couldn't see anything, but the only way to see all the way to the back is to lay flat on my belly, and it's just too hot. I'd never get back up! LOL!
Hopefully the cat will just stop coming around when the heat wave breaks. I'm fearful of putting Chug out there if it's still here when the ant treatment is finally done.
I don't know if this is helpful or not but I have three cats one is a major hunter they show no interest in shorty. I hope you have the same luck.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Cruelty is not the answer, do not shoot the cat. Try peppermint oil or run out of the house screaming when the cat is there. It will get the point.