Oh Footlocker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
So Footlocker is relentlessly trying to get out of his habitat today. He is driving me nuts because he keeps trying to walk up the walls in an attempt to get out. I don't really care that he is doing it, but then he slides down and smacks his little jaw on his pool edge and I think it looks like he is hurting himself. Would he stop if it hurt him? I also think he is in heat. I saw his wiener the other day. Kinda grossed me out. STILL looking to get him a mate. Anyone live in MN?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
If your profile pic is his enclosure then i would say he is trying to go through the glass, you could try putting paper around the perimeter of the base to keep him from seeing throught the glass.

Occasionally male torts will flash you as yours did, this is normal. tht tells you for sure that you have a male.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Walking into the walls often indicates a tortoise that is bored or feels trapped. It may need a larger habitat or more interesting things to do in there.

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
We have added some plants, but what does a tortoise want to do? I don't have the space for a larger terrarium, we live in an apartment. He had it much worse the rest of his life, he could barely turn around in his catbox with the lady we got him from. I know he does enjoy most of his day observing us and watching shows with my kid, but about once a week, he gets all crazy. I let him out about once a week for a few hours to get some floor time after a good soaking in the tub. Would he like some toys or something? The vivarium is a work in progress, I have to have mature plants to withstand his tramplings.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Could you post a pic of his housing? We might be able to give you some suggestions on how to enlarge it to give him more room. Like, could you add a second level or even a partial second level to give him more exploring space?

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Could you post a pic of his housing? We might be able to give you some suggestions on how to enlarge it to give him more room. Like, could you add a second level or even a partial second level to give him more exploring space?

My pic is his house. There is going to be a second level for growing his food. When it warms up, he will get to go outside, but I live in MN. I doubt he'd like it this time of year.

He has a rock bed by his pool, a sphagnum moss area where his heatlamp is, newly added organic soil for fresh greens, a cypress run, a hilly area and his hide, which is currently a board propped up against the back corner, it will be a nice log a some later point in time during summer. I have added more plants and the dirt area since I took the pic. We also got a UV tube florescent to replace the compact UV.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.