Odd turtle symptoms....any thoughts/suggestions?

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi! And thank you :)... Where would I look at getting these types of fish if not at a pet store? He does love the hunt! The separate tub thing does not work....I've tried several times. I think it stresses him out too much. I don't mind cleaning my tank... I actually put all new water in every week, cleaning everything inside it as well along with the tank. Usually halfway through the week I drain as much out and fill with clean water too. I will definitely get a cuttlebone! Could you send me a picture of how you have your lights please? I'd like to get a visual to better understand. Thanks again fora,l your thoughts!!!
--brionna

All of the fish and frozen food mentioned should be found at any pet store. You can buy prawn at a grocery store. You could also do chicken or turkey, as long as there's no seasoning or grease. I boil mine. My guy used to panic when I'd reach in to take him out for his feeding but he now associates me with food and swims to me to be taken out for feeding time. He also used to panic in the tub and forget about eating until he calmed down. Your turtle is older then mine and should be offered a lot of vegetable matter. I keep aquatic plants in the tank and my guy munches on them almost daily.

I see you are on top of water hygiene. That's always a good thing. Clean water is a preventative. I keep my water temperature at 74F.

Yes, I am attaching a picture. The small dome is my heat lamp for his basking spot. The long strip is my t5 lighting which mimics sunlight. 20141230_173745.jpg1422229914975.jpg

Randi

Canada
I also only recommend to feed prawn, krill or mysis sparingly. It should be like a treat. I keep fish in my tank and my turtle takes care of them in his own time. Sometimes I help speed up the process and tong feed him a few live fish a month. I feed mealworms quite often to mine. My turtle is younger so he requires more animal protein whereas yours should have more vegetable matter. I feed my guy snails quite often. Once or twice a week. Ramshorn snails or malaysian trumpet snails work nicely. They reproduce quickly as well. Nice source of calcium. I'm not an expert but this is the ritual with mine.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
I also only recommend to feed prawn, krill or mysis sparingly. It should be like a treat. I keep fish in my tank and my turtle takes care of them in his own time. Sometimes I help speed up the process and tong feed him a few live fish a month. I feed mealworms quite often to mine. My turtle is younger so he requires more animal protein whereas yours should have more vegetable matter. I feed my guy snails quite often. Once or twice a week. Ramshorn snails or malaysian trumpet snails work nicely. They reproduce quickly as well. Nice source of calcium. I'm not an expert but this is the ritual with mine.

Randy, thank you!!!! I will definitely be changing his diet. I know that will help with his health.... Hoping the vet will give insight on his shell. Is it a dumb question to ask.... You feed the fish regular fish food with the turtle inside? :) I hope you know how grateful I am for your help!!!

Randi

Canada
Yes you can feed the fish some fish food. Use tropical fish flakes or granules. If you get flakes, crush them up so they are devoured faster. I would only do it once or twice a week. Feeding the fish can foul up water quicker. I find they can go a while without eating. They generally live off the tank anyway. Their eyes are the approximate size of their stomachs so feed fish sparingly. I have live plants so mine pick off that as well as eating whatever my turtle destroys. Sometimes they even eat his poop. I sometimes boil a little zucchini until it sinks and then throw it in my tank. My fish go crazy for it.

Last edited:

Randi

Canada
And only feed the fish enough food that it will be consumed in a minute or two. If it takes them longer then that to eat the food, it's over feeding and your filters/water will suffer.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Any of my fish that live in the turtle pond eat turtle pellets.

My fish in the aquarium and fish pond get fed fish food.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
I just wanted to update and share a pic. Gamra has been coming out of the water more and for a little longer then the last few weeks. So thank you for all the thoughts and suggestions. I got the white basking bulb as you can see, which I can tell he likes.

I will be updating his food choices today. I threw in some kale last night which he ate. I will be cutting down on his protein from here on out. It's gonna rain today, so I will catch some night crawlers to feed him tomorrow.

He will be going to the vet Friday to have his shell looked at again. Thanks for all the help!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 13

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
All of the fish and frozen food mentioned should be found at any pet store. You can buy prawn at a grocery store. You could also do chicken or turkey, as long as there's no seasoning or grease. I boil mine. My guy used to panic when I'd reach in to take him out for his feeding but he now associates me with food and swims to me to be taken out for feeding time. He also used to panic in the tub and forget about eating until he calmed down. Your turtle is older then mine and should be offered a lot of vegetable matter. I keep aquatic plants in the tank and my guy munches on them almost daily.

I see you are on top of water hygiene. That's always a good thing. Clean water is a preventative. I keep my water temperature at 74F.

Yes, I am attaching a picture. The small dome is my heat lamp for his basking spot. The long strip is my t5 lighting which mimics sunlight. View attachment 115693View attachment 115694

Hey Randi! What type of filter do you use? I'm feeling, with adding the fish, I definitely need to upgrade mine. I value you're opinion, as you've been such a help to me thus far! I've got all fish in my tank, as well as additional plants as of last night. Will be picking up the staple and 'snack' foods today.
THANK YOU!!!

Randi

Canada
How large is your tank? I'd do a canister filter. They filter quite well. I'll be picking mine up on Friday so I can let you know how it's going. I currently just use three aqueon forty gallon submersible filters. It's becoming a pain to keep them clean.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
How large is your tank? I'd do a canister filter. They filter quite well. I'll be picking mine up on Friday so I can let you know how it's going. I currently just use three aqueon forty gallon submersible filters. It's becoming a pain to keep them clean.

I have a 40 gallon tank. Yes, would love the feedback.

carolc

Virginia
I have a similar looking condition on my red eared sliders, and am going to the vet in the morning. Definitely keep us posted, I'm curious to know if our babies have the same condition. Fingers crossed it's only mineral deposits or something like that...

carolc

Virginia
Mine had a bacterial infection from spending too much time in the water. Since it doesn't hurt them to be out of the water, I'd recommend you do the same thing as my vet told me - take him out of the water 2-3 hours every day for a "dry out". There are lots of bacteria and viruses that can only survive in the water, and they die when your turtle is dry and warm. I hope that helps!

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
Mine had a bacterial infection from spending too much time in the water. Since it doesn't hurt them to be out of the water, I'd recommend you do the same thing as my vet told me - take him out of the water 2-3 hours every day for a "dry out". There are lots of bacteria and viruses that can only survive in the water, and they die when your turtle is dry and warm. I hope that helps!

They told me the same thing! Will be doing this tomorrow! Thanks for following up with me :)