RES RI symptoms?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hello, it's been awhile since I've been on this forum. I've had an RES for a little more than a year now and he's been in the same enclosure since he was 2" and now he's more than 4". He's in an unheated filtered tank (I live just beside the equator line and the climate here is pretty hot so the room water temp is already around 25°C), with a basking spot using a mercury vapour bulb. He's been in this same set up for more than a year with no problems but 15minutes ago he sneezed really loudly which scared me. It sounded a lot like a loud angry hiss. So when I looked over to his tank, he sneezed a couple of times and "yawned" in the water. His eyes and nose are clear, no puffiness no mucus no bubbles no listing. It's just loud sneezing and maybe a little bit of "yawning" or open mouth breathing. He's sneezed once more after 5 minutes, but up to this point while I'm typing this he has just sneezed one more time. I don't believe he has been exposed to any cold drafts, because firstly his tank is not near any windows, and secondly the tank is in my room which I do not have aircon.

Should I be worried and bring him to a vet asap to get him checked out or should I just wait it out? He seems to be fine at this very moment and I really don't want to go to the vet if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My tortoise sneezes from time to time, but I've never seen or heard my water turtle sneeze. Granted, I have less opportunity to observe my water turtle as much.

temps sound fine. One thing that indicated a RI for my turtle was floating lopsided - His RI came about from aspirating dirty water and getting a bacterial infection in his lung.If he floats evenly, I think you have nothing to worry about.