Odd burying himself and not getting up at all

rz1891

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Virgin Islands
Hi all, Odd has been, well, a bit Odd. He is burying himself instead of sleeping in his pot, and not getting up all day, not eating anything that was left out at all. He has done this three times, but not consecutively. I made him get up the day after each time he did it and when he was up he did eat and drink then went back to bury himself again.
He lives in an outdoor enclosure in the Caribbean. They live wild here so i do not have any set up at all, no lights or heating. It has been a little warmer in the last week, but not a large temperature hike, just a couple of degrees.

Any thoughts?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
What species is Odd and is it possible to see pictures of the enclosure? They usually burrow for a few reasons. Either to thermoregulate because its too hot or too cold, or because they feel more secure from burrowing than they do with the hiding places available. And some......just like too lol

rz1891

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Virgin Islands
diamondbp said:
What species is Odd and is it possible to see pictures of the enclosure? They usually burrow for a few reasons. Either to thermoregulate because its too hot or too cold, or because they feel more secure from burrowing than they do with the hiding places available. And some......just like too lol

Hi, sorry, Odd is a Redfoot, about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Not really sure of his age as the person I got him from was quite vague. He has always burrowed, but I am just a bit concerned that he is not even getting up to eat or drink.

Pictures of the enclosure are here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-81940.html he gets sun in the afternoons.

abclements

5 Year Member
I've noticed mine tends to bury himself when he is in the middle of a growth spurt. Not sure why... maybe it's for more moisture for shell growth, maybe it hurts (growing pains??) and he wants to hide, etc... I just have made this observation for my 2 year old... not even sure if this even applies to your tort or any other RF, just my experience lol as long as your temps are fine, he'll come out to eat and drink if he needs to.