Burying himself completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
My new tortoise is now burying himself completely. Head and all of shell. I don't know if this is normal tortoise behavior... If he's just bored right now because he's in a small container right now (54 gallon rubbermaid temporarily). He's a juvenile hermann's with a possible URI. I just hope it's normal and not something wrong. I am working on building him an enclosure for daytime use.

Thank you

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes they do it . Do you have a hide on there? If not they will dig and hide them self .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Cymmie

5 Year Member
I do have a hide but it's on the cool end, or was, I moved it to the warm end just now hoping that he would end up choosing to use it instead of burying himself, the only reason it freaks me out right now is because he's having a hard time breathing and I don't want him to have even a harder time under the Eco Earth. >.<

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Remember in nature if they see you
They will eat you , so give the tort
Some time to see your the food god
As Yvonne G. Says good luck and enjoy
Your tort :)

Cymmie

5 Year Member
I should realize I need to patient because I am used to sensitive animals, but I am just so worried about screwing up with him, especially since he hasn't been to the vet yet to get his meds. Monday why can't it be monday >.< he's not eating much either and I think it's because he's sick... I even tempted him with some cucumber today and he refused it I don't know if it's because he's stressed with being in the new enviroment or because he's sick... we will see, I know he's going to the vet as soon as possible

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just keep him warm and he will be fine .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Thank you ^^ so much my mind is at ease now XD I like to worry the first few weeks I bring someone new home >.<

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Cymmie said:
Thank you ^^ so much my mind is at ease now XD I like to worry the first few weeks I bring someone new home >.<

Worrying is actually a sign of a good caretaker in my opinion. *hugs* Good luck tomorrow at the Vet's.

fieldy

5 Year Member
I think it is a completely normal behaviour. My tort completely buries himself even when he goes inside the humid hide. Even if you provide a hide and your tort goes inside, it may still bury itself inside the hide just like mine do. :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Elsa is a Hermann's, and she buried herself completely for the first few days I had her. She still sometimes does it. She's always perfectly fine, but I like to know where she is, so I gently poke a finger into the substrate until I find her. After a while you will learn their favorite hiding/burying spots! :)

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
My 7 month old Hermann's buries himself every night at 9pm when he's ready for bed. Regardless of where I place his hides or how many he has this is his preferred method of feeling secure at night. He digs himself up shortly after the lights on his tortoise table come on and proceeds he normal activity and eats a ton.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
He now only buries himself halfway, which makes me feel calmer XD and I decided not to go to the vet after talking to some people on the forum about his symptoms though I am doing a fecal, he is healthy, I called the vet with his symptoms just to make sure and they said not to worry XD but I swear he's like a two year old with ADD >.< he was kept in way too small an enclosure for far too long, now he's using every bit of space he has. He loves his new outdoor enclosure <3

Status
Not open for further replies.