Odd behavior, a bit worried

thegravelanche

So i have had Henry my sulcatta for a few months now and all in all it has been great, Eating and pooping just fine, active and happy, no aggression or anything. However in the last week i have found him inverted three times, this last one gave me a small heart attack because i found him inverted in the water dish and i was sure he was dead until i picked him up. Thank god it was cleaning day and the water hadnt been topped up yet.

Is inverting a sign of anything? or is he just being more adventurous now that the ambient temps are a bit warmer with the summer weather

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It is usually a sign of a tortoise flipping over. Water dish maybe the wrong angle to get in and out of easily, he may be climbing the walls and falling over. More sight barriers may help. What kind of water dish do you have?

thegravelanche

I made it myself, it is the bottom of a plastic shoebox, at one end it is only about 1/2 an inch deep and at the far end it's about 1.5 inches deep, i bury it in at an angle so he can have that shallow slope, he can either take a sip from the edge or crawl in and soak a bit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The plastic is too slippery. Get a clay saucer that goes under flower pots. Even the plastic saucers will work and that are not slippery like the plastic shoe boxes

thegravelanche

will keep that in mind, but only one of the times was even near his water dish, how common is it for a sulcatta to tip itself