Odd night time behavior??

WildeAxel

Location (City and/or State)
Abbotsford BC
Is it normal for hatchlings to stay away past lights off at night. Sometimes hes burrowed or tucked into a hide and sometimes hes just out under where his light was, sleeping. I usually end up tucking him under a hide when he does this- not knowing if he'll stay there all night or move?

Humidity seems to be good, temperatures in the enclosure have been overall raised a bit over the last few days. I have been using warm water for his substrate soakings, twice a day. Hes pooping and eating like a champ, just it seems odd? I weighed him yesterday and he has gained weight.

Photo included for adorableness. The depth behind and under those hides is 3 inches and hes burrowed a few times there but this is how he'll be after lights go off occasionally.

DSCF4800.JPG

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
If he’s sleeping in the open he must feel very comfortable and unafraid. Sometimes my adult Russians sleep like that. Seems like a baby would be more cautious but i guess you’ve done a great job of making him feel at ease!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I really like your enclosure! Could we see a picture taken the opposite direction? I just want to see it all.

Sorry I don't know about the sleeping. The only thing I can think of is that it's like us falling asleep in the La Z Boy while the TV is on. Warm, comfortable...even when we wake up it's a struggle to make ourselves move.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would just put him in one of the hides every evening if he doesn't do it on his own. It's a good habit for him to get into for when he's moved outside to live.

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
If he’s sleeping in the open he must feel very comfortable and unafraid. Sometimes my adult Russians sleep like that. Seems like a baby would be more cautious but i guess you’ve done a great job of making him feel at ease!

Interesting. I was told that by another that they will never sleep out in the open, being a tiny prey animal. I will continue to watch and monitor the behavior!

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
I really like your enclosure! Could we see a picture taken the opposite direction? I just want to see it all.

Sorry I don't know about the sleeping. The only thing I can think of is that it's like us falling asleep in the La Z Boy while the TV is on. Warm, comfortable...even when we wake up it's a struggle to make ourselves move.

lol nice image there of truth! I have included pictures form this morning. Hes mowing on his mazuri pellet at the moment.

He insisted in continuing to climb the one side of his hide...so I made a ramp and a fence so he can't fall off anymore. Made curtains to help keep him feel secure and I usually have a towel draped on the left side. Currently looking into designing and building some sort of partial cover for the left side.

Attachments

• DSCF4806.JPG
    DSCF4806.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4807.JPG
    DSCF4807.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCF4808.JPG
    DSCF4808.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16