Oat straw substrate?

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
I recently had a recommendation from a fellow Forum member that recommended me trying oat straw since I was so worried about impaction from other substrates I just wondered if anybody else had good success with this as well sounds like a great idea since they can actually eat it I just wondered if there's a problem with moistening it for humidity or if it would mold and it should have another source of humidity and the fact that it's dry I didn't want it to pull the moisture out of her if I can't keep it moist due to mold or whatever other reason there is to not moisten it.....thoughts???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What species of tortoise? If you're supposed to keep the substrate moist, like for baby leopards, sulcatas, etc. then oat straw will mold and shouldn't be used.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Oat straw will mold. Mold spores will pretty much get everywhere once you can see visible see it so the only option would be to get rid of all of it.

Coco coir and orchid/fir bark doesn't have impaction issues. Tortoises that accidentally eat coco coir have passed it without issues.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Oat straw will mold. Mold spores will pretty much get everywhere once you can see visible see it so the only option would be to get rid of all of it.

Coco coir and orchid/fir bark doesn't have impaction issues. Tortoises that accidentally eat coco coir have passed it without issues.
I guess I'll just go back to the Coco coir and the Orchard Park which I've used before I could always sit through the bark to make sure all the pieces are bigger that a pea so she can eat them... I didn't put the oat straw in there yet I still have her reptile mat but I'll look into getting some so she has something to dig down in

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I guess I'll just go back to the Coco coir and the Orchard bark which I've used before I could always sift through the bark to make sure all the pieces are bigger that a pea so she cant eat them... I didn't put the oat straw in there yet I still have her reptile mat but I'll look into getting some so she has something to dig down in

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
What species of tortoise? If you're supposed to keep the substrate moist, like for baby leopards, sulcatas, etc. then oat straw will mold and shouldn't be used.
the vet recommended using topsoil said something about if she eats any it'll only help Digest her greens and that has micronutrients in it

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Except topsoil is random greens mixed together that may or may not have pesticides in it. If she eats it, it may be poisonous.
Well if I do get topsoil for her it would be my own and I don't use pesticides in my yard or in my garden as everything is natural that she eats otherwise I wouldn't give it to her if I couldn't trust it