Nursing sick sulcata back to health...

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuyler22

5 Year Member
While I'm a new member to this forum, I've probably read hundreds of posts from various users as I've been the mommy to a Sulcata (Trigger, Trig for short) for over 12 years.

My baby has gone through a couple close calls in his lifetime - first when he was 1 and had a horrible case of worms that went undetected for a while (he was eating so much, I had no idea he was starving from the worms getting all his nutrients!!!) and that was my first experience nursing him back to health. He bounced back well with the meds that i had to inject him but the docs said he would likely have stunted growth from the ordeal.

We live in Chicago, so obviously he doesn't get as much outdoor time as we would like him to. That being said, recently he got reeeeeeally sick and was suffering from kidney failure. He was at the vets for 3+ weeks before we got to bring him home.

Once home however it's been QUITE an ordeal getting him to eat. For two weeks he barely drank during his soaks, and was still too weak to eat on his own - but was so stubborn that I couldn't syringe feed him either (he's a stubborn fella!!!)

FINALLY we had a break through a couple weeks ago and I've been able to successfully hand feed him and he's eating a TON. However - he's still having trouble eating HAY - and yesterday he had really runny poop - I imagine because he needs more fiber.

Any suggestions on how I can get him to eat hay? He's just not able to chomp it up. I've been giving him dandelion leaves, some cactus (both of which he loooooooves), some romaine (that's what finally got him to start eating) and tried giving him little hay pellets which he can eat a few of - but can't eat on his own (still not strong enough to eat properly) and he doesn't like my hand feeding him all the time.

SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!! Trig is a verrrrrrry stubborn tort. We've finally worked out a system were he is okay with me hand feeding him long foods (like dandelion leaves) but I'm not sure how to get more fiber into him and he is NOT willing to be syringe fed!!!

Thanks!

ps- here is a link to Trig "quacking" during his soak yesterday...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SzvJgnwISo0

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I too live in Chicago. Do you soak the hay I water before feeding? In not, try that and also cut it up into small pieces. I would also get some Mazuri tortoise food. Most torts love in and you would be able to hide food into it. You would soak the Mazuri also. Good luck, keep us posted, others should have more ideas to try.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Sorry to hear about Trigs health issues :( wellington has some great suggestions, especially mazuri! If a tortoise hasn't had it before it may take a while for them to warm up to it, but once they do it's like turtle crack! It's very soft once soaked and it's perfect for hiding medication or blending with less desired foods :)

I hope everything goes well!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

There's a product called Critical Care manufactured by Oxbow. It consists of ground up timothy hay and other weeds. Ground into a powder that you mix with water. You can either syringe feed or tube feed.

criticalcare_zpsb3b5ef25.gif

This would get the bulk back into his diet.

schuyler22

5 Year Member
Thank you all!!! I'm going to check out Mazuri immediately, and great suggestion in soaking the hay and cutting it up before feeding it to Trig!!

I've been giving him Critical Care when I can sneak it into a lettuce burrito for him, but he is completely averse to syringe feeding.

Thank you all spp much for the suggestions, I'll definitely keep you posted!!!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using TortForum mobile app

schuyler22

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much!!! I got Trigger the Mazuri and he LOVES IT!!!! Here's a picture of him chowing down on it!!

Attachments

• 1371683156614.jpg
    1371683156614.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 1371683179038.jpg
    1371683179038.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 36

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yay! and for the hay.. make sure its soft grassy hay not the hard stemmy stuff.. put a small pile out and top it with his fave green,, he will 'accidently' eat some hay when he goes for the greens and learn that the hay is food. can you get him outside to graze on real grass??

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Congratulations on the Mazuri success! And welcome to TFO

clucey

5 Year Member
Are u in honolulu by any chance?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Nursing sick sulcata back to health...

schuyler22 said:
Thank you all so much!!! I got Trigger the Mazuri and he LOVES IT!!!! Here's a picture of him chowing down on it!!

Yay!!! Yup, looks like another tortoise feel victim to tortoise crack. Glad to see he is eating :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats good news the turtle crack worked.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

schuyler22

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Nursing sick sulcata back to health...

Laura said:
yay! and for the hay.. make sure its soft grassy hay not the hard stemmy stuff.. put a small pile out and top it with his fave green,, he will 'accidently' eat some hay when he goes for the greens and learn that the hay is food. can you get him outside to graze on real grass??

@Laura, where do I get hay like that? In the past he's eaten the dried Timothy Hay, but he's not been able to eat that week on his own during the recovery. I'd love to get him a softer hay, but haven't seen any at my local pet store.

As for grazing, I definitely take him outside into the backyard when it's warm enough!! It's been unseasonably cool in Chicago recently thigh, so he's only been able to go out a few times so far...

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and wishes. I'm so happy Trigger is showing real signs of improvement!!! Now, to figure out how much Mazuri the little dude should eat a day...I think he'd eat it all in one go if I let him!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.