Is my tort dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirt21

5 Year Member
I've had him for two mo. His temps are fine as well as space. After about 1 and a 1/2 month after I got him he stopped doing anything. In order to wake him up I had to lift him, stroke his shell, soak him. I left him outside for exercise which he preferred so he moved (barely). I did that every day. Then he stopped eating. I kept taking him outside because he seemed happier he would move a little but refused to eat. I asked around and ppl said maybe he was stubborn, that he could last without food for a long time. He didn't eat for 4 weeks. Whenever I placed him back in his enclosure I noticed the next day he was in the same exact spot same direction no movement whatsoever. He didn't go to the food or the water. I flipped over his food bowl and laid him on it and he started moving more. I assumed he liked the surface. So I did the same to the water and he moved while in his enclosure on those two little slates. Because I removed his water I soaked him twice a day.

Now, my sister tried tugging his leg and he doesn't respond. He isn't "sagging" or "limp" but he won't do anything. His right eye is slightly open.

What is the cause of his "death" if he really is dead? My mom says its the water but I swear it's not. He would go on days without moving from the spot i placed him on so he would never GO to the water, let alone face it. (Which is the reason for the soaks)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry for your loss. We might have been able to help you if you had come to us sooner.

We would have needed to know:

What kind of tortoise is it?
How old is it?
What is the habitat like?
What are the temperatures all over the floor of the habitat?
What are you feeding?
Do you soak him?

This is a sad thing for you to have to go through. I'm so sorry.

Squirt21

5 Year Member
Thank you for confirming. This is really quite hard as I've been the only to attempt to care for him everyday and I'm the youngest and now I've all the blame carried on my shoulders

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Honestly I think either he is dead or close to dying :( If not eating and not drinking and not moving, then he is sick and he should of been taken to the vet or you could of asked on the forum what was wrong to get help. But we all make mistakes. Is his plastron soft or the top shell soft? If its a hatchling, the plastron should be a little flexible but not squishy or mushy. If he has any of these it might of been MBD. Was he getting UVB rays in his enclosure as well as outside? Were you giving him calcium and proper vitamins? a lot of things could have gone wrong for him, but something had to of been wrong with his enclosure for him to take a turn for the worse. I'm sorry that he didn't make it. I wish you the best

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your loss. Do not blame yourself. Some just do not thrive and it starts usually with the way they were hatched and cared for before we even get them. When you decide to get another, do your research on here of the questions to ask the breeder before you even purchase. If they raise and care for them the hot and dry way, do not buy. If they use pellets as a substrate, do not buy. If they do not soak or do not give them water 24/7, do not buy. Stay with us on the forum and let us know everything you have for a set up and we can help you tweak it before you add a new shelled friend. Again, so sorry, it's not your fault.

Squirt21

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone... I was offered another tortoise as everyone can tell I've been greatly impacted ... But if I get another he'll be forced into a really tiny tank with no light (as the former owner insists), fed once a week, and I don't think I could let another tort live like that ...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hard to tell with no pictures or hands on.. he may be dead,, if not... close...
Hatchlings... are heartbreakers...
if and when you decide to get another.. try an older one..

Jd3

5 Year Member
Squirt21 said:
Thank you everyone... I was offered another tortoise as everyone can tell I've been greatly impacted ... But if I get another he'll be forced into a really tiny tank with no light (as the former owner insists), fed once a week, and I don't think I could let another tort live like that ...

Why In the world would you have to do what the former owner insists after it is yours?

Get it IF you can provide proper care. Research first. What KIND of tort is it? Show your family the advice of this place.

If a tort is sick of needs to see a vet.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Is my tort dead

Squirt21 said:

Fed once a week and no light... bad!

Unless you want a repeat death, you have to ignore the former owner ... or make out you are going along with it... and then do the right thing once the former owner is out of the way.

Do your research and keep your pet correctly

Russian_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
Squirt21 said:

If you buy it, it's yours. You can do whatever you want with it (except if there is a contract you signed that states otherwise).

Jenley

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Az
Squirt21 said:

What? That seems ridiculous!

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You may be what this other tortoise needs if you have the proper equipment to take care of him. Hang in there, have you confirmed that your current tortoise has passed? If so I'm sorry for your loss.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Fed once a week and no light? What the hey. How would that person like to be fed once a week and have no light? Oy. Vey.

Hearing this type of thinking being out there makes me so grateful that TFO is available for education and the sharing of new school tortoise keeping. God bless all those poor tortoises or turtles that have been at the mercy of those who do not know better.

I am so sorry about your loss. Babies are fragile as it is ... both in nature and in captivity ... and then no food and no light to support their fight/right to live. Hard. Sad. Read-read-read TFO and if and when the time seems right, adopt again with more knowledge to raise a tortoise in hand. Tough lesson, I know. Live and learn so the next tortoise can thrive. A good thing. Once again, I am so sorry, my sympathy that you had to experience this sad loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.