Not sure what is wrong!

Danylle

I am so grateful to be able to post in this forum! My husband, David, and myself, Danylle, adopted a baby sulcata on June 20th of last year after much research and looking for the perfect little baby! We live in southwest Michigan and had quite a time finding what we considered a good breeder! After finally finding one, we questioned the breeder about the clutch and were told they were almost 3 weeks old, were raised in a "humid" environment (I didn't think to get the percentages at that time), and both the parents were very large and healthy (pictures were posted at the table). We picked out the most active, colorful and responsive baby in the clutch and promptly brought him/her home to settle in!

Everything was amazing for the first several months and then one day in November he/she decided not to eat. No big deal for 1 day, and the next day was just fine again. But slowly and gradually he/she has drastically stopped eating and being active.

I'm just stumped! I feel like we have done everything MOSTLY right and we aren't seeing any results. Our baby has not gained much weight and has not grown much at all either. We started at 28 grams and are now at 48 grams, 20 grams in 7 months?! I've seen some on here gain that in just a couple weeks! I cannot get ahold of the breeder anymore as he has moved out of Michigan and I just don't know what to do anymore! Do we just have a dwarf tortoise?!?!

Here is the setup:

We have him/her in a 48"x18"x24" glass closed-system enclosure.

We have a CHE on the hot end that runs day and night. We also have a full spectrum tube light and a HPS that run 12 hours a day (mostly for our birds and iguanas, but he/she gets lots of light from it, too).

The temps are as follows: 105* basking, 99-101* humid hide, 80-85* daytime cool side and 78-80* night temps. The humidity on the hot side is always 90% or higher and on the cool side we keep it at 77-80%. Our little one gets misted no less than twice a day and also gets two soaks a day in carrot baby food for 30-40 minutes at a time.

The substrate is coconut coir mixed with untreated top soil. The hide is a halved hollow log covered with soil and has moss on the floor.

We have planted some organic grass, hibiscus, and have some weed mix on the way. Our baby gets spring mix, dandelions, collards, cut up grass, hibiscus leaves and weeds from our lawn (only when snow is not on the ground) every day and sometimes twice a day. If it gets soggy, I change it out. We also supplement with calcium with D3 in it since we cannot take our baby outside at this time. Right at this point we are offering iceberg, romaine and collards along with sweet potato and carrots just to try to get him/her to eat ANYTHING.

There is ALWAYS fresh water available. It bothers me so much when people don't provide fresh water to ANY animal!

So, my questions:

#1- Any ideas to get this little one eating? We found a supplement called Jump-Start caloric supplement and appetite stimulant by Zilla, but haven't used it and I'm not sure about it. Anybody use this?

#2- Is our enclosure adequate? I know as he/she grows we will have to upgrade but we haven't seen any real growth yet!

#3- Where is the best place to order the Mazuri tortoise diet and how much should we use?

#4- Is this okay to use? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453654668.834486.jpg

# 5- How about sprouts? What types are okay? I use sprouts for my birds and would love to use them for my tortoise also.

#6- My husband uses red worms in his gardens and wonders if we can use them in the enclosure to enrich the soil and help keep the enclosure cleaner?

I really appreciate all the help we can get! I am so inspired by the research and dedication I have seen here and can't wait for a response! We just want to do the best for our baby!

Danylle

Sorry! I forgot the most important part: photos!

Here is our little one the day we got him/her:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655128.714002.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655139.919446.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655150.106363.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655158.879695.jpg

And here he/she is now: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655274.687389.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655296.499420.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655331.616017.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655403.102427.jpg

Here is the enclosure:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655490.805448.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655538.818087.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655554.357091.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655573.817151.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453655617.489538.jpg

The temps are a tiny bit off right now due to opening it for cleaning/changing food and waters. Any input helps!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not give carrot soaks all the time. Just warm water. If you have been doing the carrot soaks all the time, this may be a problem. Also only a small pinch of calcium a coupl times a week is all that's needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, as for Mazuri, if you have a feed store near, ask them if they can order it for you. They usually can get it cheaper. The largest bag is the cheapest way to go. Bag it up in freezer zip locks and freeze it. Will last that way. I would feed him soaked Mazuri about 4-6 pellets 2-3 times a week. Or if he really likes it, do 1-2 pellets soaked daily and smear it on the greens so he will eat his greens too. Cat grass is fine to feed.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Don't feed your baby iceberg lettuce. That stuff is grown with too many chemicals to be good for anyone.

There is some speculation on the forum that many sulcatas slow down this time of the year even if they are kept warm.

Danylle

Thank you so much for the quick replies! I knew about the lettuce not being good for them, I just feel like I've tried everything and if I could at least get him/her to eat something I could maybe trick him/her into eating things that are good? I don't know lol...bad idea out of desperation I guess.

As for the soaks with carrots I have only been doing that for 4 days. I forgot to put that in there. I will stop doing that today then.

Thanks for the tips on the Mazuri! I can't wait to start that! Maybe he/she will like that!

Ughh...we really need to name this little guy something other than 'Tortoise'!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Poor baby!
The caresheet should give you a diet list and
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide for tort safe plants.
I do hope he is better soon.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Mazuri pellets are the one thing Speedy will never pass up . I was advised to give him 3 soaked pellets every 3rd day when we got him. He still gets them every 3rd day , but he starts off with 8 soaked pellets mixed with hay that I snip into small pieces and soak also. Later in the day he has 6 more pellets soaked , and mixed with hay ! I also give him hay pellets , soaked also he eats it but not like Mazuri ! Make sure you get the pellets , they don't care for the other stuff .

Danylle

Ok, so over the past 3 days I have had no luck getting my little one to eat. I'm so upset that he/she is not doing well!! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong

Today the little one didn't move at all on his own. Wherever I set him down or moved him to is where he stayed. Ughh

Any other last ditch efforts to save this little one? I've done everything I know to do!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is he soft in spots i.e. Carapace or plastron (bottom shell)? He's not thriving, that's for sure. Do you have a vet who know how to treat tortoises? If so, and your baby down improve, I'd take him in asap. I suspect metabolic bone disease (MBD). He appears sickly. I would have his fecal tested for worms or parasites. If this baby had been infected with parasites, this could be why he doesn't seem to grow and thrive. Any vet could test fecal matter and you could at least eliminate that problem if it's negative. Please keep me posted

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
Ok, so over the past 3 days I have had no luck getting my little one to eat. I'm so upset that he/she is not doing well!! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong

Today the little one didn't move at all on his own. Wherever I set him down or moved him to is where he stayed. Ughh

Any other last ditch efforts to save this little one? I've done everything I know to do!
I had this same problem with my little Rocky back a few months ago. He was at a stand still at 50grams. He was eating a little but no weight Gain. Come to find out he had worms and it wasn't allowing him to grow. We got him to a vet and he was on medicine for 3 days and within a week the scales started shooting up. I would take a trip to the vet

Danylle

I'm so sorry I haven't updated.

Unfortunately, my little one passed away. I did take him to the vet and was told he had metabolic bone disease and failure to thrive. When I explained the conditions I had kept him under the vet said these issues had to have come from the breeder and long before I got him. The vet also said that she estimated him to be older than I thought he was by about 4-6 months, based on x-rays. We are assuming at this point that the baby was hatched and raised the first couple months of life in a dry environment. So sad.

My husband and I are heartbroken, but still hopeful we can find another sulcata to raise in our home that has had a better beginning. Thank you all for the help and well-wishing. We will be back on here with our new little one as soon as we find a perfect breeder.

Myroli

I'm so sorry for your loss. I got my sulcata from Arizona Tortoise Compound, so I would say they're really good, but if you're looking for someone closer, I'd suggest asking around on here for a breeder near you

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
:( I am so sorry. Please do consider adoption. Nothing to you breeders out there. Wonderful people here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, darn it. I'm so sorry you couldn't save your baby. That's always a hard thing to go through.

Danylle

Thank you all so much for the info. We are looking forward to having another one in the near future. We definitely are open to adoption and are looking up places near us

On a side note: all our new tortoise supplies were delivered today from tortoise supply...kind of heartbreaking all over again