Not sure if these weeds good or not for my Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I don't have much in landscape at the moment, mainly Sand and stone, however there are a few local weeds growing, I normally pull them right out, but have left them for photo purposes, I want to know if these are safe for my 2 baby's ;) At the moment they eat mainly spring mix, grass from my friends lawn,where the babies came from, I did get some organic grass sold at pet store, but they didn't touch it, Rose petals, they don't like and water cress, I tried some Zucchini after someone else mentioned it to me, they feed it to their hatchling's, they liked it, but as I have not seen anyone here mention I only gave it once. I just want to give them as wide variety as possible, as always any help appreciated, in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 38

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
the first two pictures are of ground spurge. It isn't the same as spotted spurge, which desert tortoises really love. I wasn't able to find anything about it on GOOGLE because the answers get mixed up with spotted spurge.

The next picture looks like some sort of wild melon. Don't know if its edible or not.

The last picture is a green and growing tumbleweed. If I'm correct in this I.D., it is toxic.

HelenP

5 Year Member
Apple Valley, California
Yvonne G said:
the first two pictures are of ground spurge. It isn't the same as spotted spurge, which desert tortoises really love. I wasn't able to find anything about it on GOOGLE because the answers get mixed up with spotted spurge.

The next picture looks like some sort of wild melon. Don't know if its edible or not.

The last picture is a green and growing tumbleweed. If I'm correct in this I.D., it is toxic.
Thank you Yvonne, I am sure the last is Tumble weed, as I always pull them as the little thorns get in the dogs paws, as for the 1st here is me thinking chickweed, I have a red colored to of the 1st one. As long as I know they are gettin enough at the moment, that's the main thing ;) I feel such a novice, but I am steadily learning ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The red-colored one is spotted spurge.

Status
Not open for further replies.