lazy daisy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerry

5 Year Member
hello all.

I have had my two russian torts for a few months now.
Am growing a bit concerned about one of them, it seems that if i don't dig her out in the afternoon she will just stay in the bed all day. When i do wake her, she seems absolutely fine and eats fairly well, and i can't see any signs of illness.
She has never really been a very active tortoise, but was always out everyday.
My other tortoise does seem to show her alot of attention, and occasionally bites her quite badly, but she does'nt seem to be wary of him at all.
Any suggestions of what could be wrong?:tort::(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Pairs seldom work out. She's hiding and staying out of the way of her more aggressive cage mate. In my opinion, you should separate them right away, or get 2 or 3 more females and put them all outside in a big enclosure with lots of hiding places and obstacles to hide behind. The long term stress from living under constant fear of attack can eventually be deadly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kerry:

I agree with Tom that your female tortoise is staying hidden because the male is pestering her too much.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't even think about her possibly being scared and is actually hiding... I have to agree with Tom on this and either seperate them or get a few more females. she may be scared because of the attacks and hiding is all she can do to stop it...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Pairs seldom work out. She's hiding and staying out of the way of her more aggressive cage mate. In my opinion, you should separate them right away, or get 2 or 3 more females and put them all outside in a big enclosure with lots of hiding places and obstacles to hide behind. The long term stress from living under constant fear of attack can eventually be deadly.

This...

Seperate them until you can give them a larger enclosure and at least a couple more females...it's really the only humane thing to do.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I have to agree with everyone, separate them.

I just had to separate my torts. I couldn't understand why one of them wouldn't eat and kept her eyes closed all day even though she would walk around. Now that they are separated she eats almost all the food I give her and only closes her eyes when she's sleeping lol

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yep,, i agree,
but also think about temps... do you have them outside? has it cooled down any?
But I think you need to seperate.. or make a large enclosure and see if more hiding places and room, helps.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
As a side not, would still love to see pics of your giant african land snail "Marley"

Status
Not open for further replies.