Not eating

jasmin1

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hi
Probably worrying about nothing here.
Jasmin has come out of brumation quite smoothly, but it's now been five days and she is showing no interest in food whatsoever.
She's having warm baths and spends a little time under the heat lamp.
I'm wondering, as I know nothing of her past except that she most probably spent her life wandering about outdoors, that being in an indoor enclosure even though it is large, is causing stress?
Her outsiding enclosure heats up quite nicely in the sun even though it's only March, so have put her in there for an hour or 2, but even though she's warm enough to eat, she is showing no interest.
Is this normal ?
Can it take a while?
Many thanks

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Hi
Probably worrying about nothing here.
Jasmin has come out of brumation quite smoothly, but it's now been five days and she is showing no interest in food whatsoever.
She's having warm baths and spends a little time under the heat lamp.
I'm wondering, as I know nothing of her past except that she most probably spent her life wandering about outdoors, that being in an indoor enclosure even though it is large, is causing stress?
Her outsiding enclosure heats up quite nicely in the sun even though it's only March, so have put her in there for an hour or 2, but even though she's warm enough to eat, she is showing no interest.
Is this normal ?
Can it take a while?
Many thanks
What species of tortoise do you have? You will need to post more info such as actual temps, lighting and enclosure size/type.

jasmin1

France
What species of tortoise do you have? You will need to post more info such as actual temps, lighting and enclosure size/type.
Hi
Ok
Spur thighed, old ish, full sized.
Room day temp 15 _ 18 degrees C
Night temp 14 C
Lamp temp 30 C on 12 hours
Indoor enclosure 2m x 4m open top

Outside.. varies
In sun 22 _ 26 C

Only put her out when sun and for a short time. It's where her food garden is which she always ate last year.

I'm thinking maybe another heat lamp?
Poss not getting as warm as I think.

She doesn't seem to want to bask much.
Maybe indoors doesn't suit her?
But she can't go out 24/7 yet, at least for another month.

I'm in SW France

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
Ok
Spur thighed, old ish, full sized.
Room day temp 15 _ 18 degrees C
Night temp 14 C
Lamp temp 30 C on 12 hours
Indoor enclosure 2m x 4m open top

Outside.. varies
In sun 22 _ 26 C

Only put her out when sun and for a short time. It's where her food garden is which she always ate last year.

I'm thinking maybe another heat lamp?
Poss not getting as warm as I think.

She doesn't seem to want to bask much.
Maybe indoors doesn't suit her?
But she can't go out 24/7 yet, at least for another month.

I'm in SW France

Thanks
Your temps are too cool. Try warming things up a bit. Try to keep the overnight low closer to 20-21C. Basking area needs to be 36-37C. Daytime ambient around 26C.

How are you measuring the outside temp? Is that ambient day time high temp outside, or is that her carapace temp when in the sun? What and where is it 22-26C outside? What is the ambient temp and the ground temp outside right now?

This is why I like to have a temperature controlled insulated shelter for them. It makes it MUCH easier to get them in and out of brumation when you want to, and regardless of what the weather and temperatures are doing outside. That is shown and explained here:

jasmin1

France
Your temps are too cool. Try warming things up a bit. Try to keep the overnight low closer to 20-21C. Basking area needs to be 36-37C. Daytime ambient around 26C.

How are you measuring the outside temp? Is that ambient day time high temp outside, or is that her carapace temp when in the sun? What and where is it 22-26C outside? What is the ambient temp and the ground temp outside right now?

This is why I like to have a temperature controlled insulated shelter for them. It makes it MUCH easier to get them in and out of brumation when you want to, and regardless of what the weather and temperatures are doing outside. That is shown and explained here:
Thanks.
Ok temps way too cool.
Outside temp was against the wall where she basks, but agreed, still too cold.

So... higher wattage bulb?

We can't get incandescent bulbs here, stopped selling them a few years ago... not green enough!
Have seen a reptile bulb at 60w and 100w.
Would this suffice? ( I know Tom's not a fan )
any other recommendations for bulbs? ( if not a reptile spot ).

Also a reptile heat plate? ( Think that's what its called ) to raise ambient temp.. any recommendations welcome.

This is a learning curve..she's an unexpected... but very welcome...addition to the family... so any and all help welcome... please don't hold back if I'm not doing things correctly. I don't mind constructive criticism.. at the end of the day there's no point having her if I don't do it right.

Recommendations welcome
😁

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks.
Ok temps way too cool.

We can't get incandescent bulbs here, stopped selling them a few years ago... not green enough!

Also a reptile heat plate? ( Think that's what its called ) to raise ambient temp.. any recommendations welcome.

This is a learning curve..she's an unexpected... but very welcome...addition to the family... so any and all help welcome... please don't hold back if I'm not doing things correctly. I don't mind constructive criticism.. at the end of the day there's no point having her if I don't do it right.

Recommendations welcome
😁
To raise ambient temperature you may go with ceramic heat emitter (CHE) or radiant heat panel or chicken brooder heat panel. They will warm up "cold side" and can be used at night. Don't use undertank heater (aka heat pads). A thermostat is highly recommended. CHE works best in a wide dome fixture and make sure it has ceramic socket.

Also, it makes sense to cover the enclosure with something like a portable greenhouse top. It's cheap and rather effective way to maintain temperature and humidity.

Incandescent lamps are still sold in the pet shops - like Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight. But they are only for the daytime.

Reactions: Tom

jasmin1

France
To raise ambient temperature you may go with ceramic heat emitter (CHE) or radiant heat panel or chicken brooder heat panel. They will warm up "cold side" and can be used at night. Don't use undertank heater (aka heat pads). A thermostat is highly recommended. CHE works best in a wide dome fixture and make sure it has ceramic socket.

Also, it makes sense to cover the enclosure with something like a portable greenhouse top. It's cheap and rather effective way to maintain temperature and humidity.

Incandescent lamps are still sold in the pet shops - like Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight. But they are only for the daytime.
Thanks for all of that I've just had a look and I have found the Arcadia heat lamp so that's good and I think I will invest in a radiant heat panel.
funnily enough I've actually got a large piece of Perspex in the barn so I think I can make some use of that.
hopefully the weather here will warm up quite quickly , normally in SW France this time of year it's a lot hotter but this year for some reason things are not quite as normal.
Thanks again

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for all of that I've just had a look and I have found the Arcadia heat lamp so that's good and I think I will invest in a radiant heat panel.
funnily enough I've actually got a large piece of Perspex in the barn so I think I can make some use of that.
hopefully the weather here will warm up quite quickly , normally in SW France this time of year it's a lot hotter but this year for some reason things are not quite as normal.
Thanks again
Radiant heat panel maybe an unnecessary expense, ceramic heat emitters are usually a cheaper option. But they are great for heating a large tortoise (as surface temperature is lower and heating is more even) and in low profile enclosures (less than 2 feet). Also, they may be a good choice for tortoises prone to pyramiding (hatchlings and Redfoots/Yellowfoots).

Please, keep us updated on how is your tortoise doing :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks.
Ok temps way too cool.

Recommendations welcome
😁
We have the same problem with incandescent flood bulbs here. Arcadia makes them and you should be able to find those over there.

jasmin1

France
Radiant heat panel maybe an unnecessary expense, ceramic heat emitters are usually a cheaper option. But they are great for heating a large tortoise (as surface temperature is lower and heating is more even) and in low profile enclosures (less than 2 feet). Also, they may be a good choice for tortoises prone to pyramiding (hatchlings and Redfoots/Yellowfoots).

Please, keep us updated on how is your tortoise doing :)
Will do
Thanks
We have the same problem with incandescent flood bulbs here. Arcadia makes them and you should be able to find those over there.
Hi
Yes I have just found an Arcadia online 60W and also one at 100W... thinking the 60 will do the job?
just looking for a holder/ stand for it, to attach it to the side of the enclosure.
The basking lamp has now been moved and now is about 36C.
Putting in a humid hide at the weekend.
All good fun
😁

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Will do
Thanks

Hi
Yes I have just found an Arcadia online 60W and also one at 100W... thinking the 60 will do the job?
just looking for a holder/ stand for it, to attach it to the side of the enclosure.
The basking lamp has now been moved and now is about 36C.
Putting in a humid hide at the weekend.
All good fun
😁
60W can be enough with an aluminium wide dome fixture in a covered enclosure and with additional ambient heating. You may start with it and adjust hanging height (not less than 15-20 cm) to get the desired temperature under the lamp. So thermometer will tell you if you need a higher wattage.

Roughly, basking area diameter equals the lamp's mounting height. Aim for a basking area 2 times larger than your tortoise size.

jasmin1

France
Thanks
Looking at the arcadia ceramic heating lamp for ambient temp. Is a cage preferred or the dome/bell holders. Can a cage be suspended?
The Arcadia cage seems to be only to attach to a surface or side.
Thanks

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks
Looking at the arcadia ceramic heating lamp for ambient temp. Is a cage preferred or the dome/bell holders. Can a cage be suspended?
The Arcadia cage seems to be only to attach to a surface or side.
Thanks
Wide dome holders with a ceramic socket are what's needed. They are often sold with clamps - don't use the clamps, they are very unreliable. Hang (suspend) the dome.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Ahhhhhh .... much better. I was almost, maybe, possibly guarantee that the temps were to low ... glad the experts could help. Good Luck to ya.

jasmin1

France
Hi
Yes
I'm hoping that it's just the temp. Easy to fix. Just waiting for heating lamp.
The basking lamp is warmer now so just ambient temp to alter.
Although she goes through the motions, wakes up waddles around a bit, has an uninterested sniff of her food...she still won't spend any more than 5 minutes under the basking light and then she goes back to bed.
I'm really hoping that the heat lamp will do the trick.

jasmin1

France
Hi
Yes
I'm hoping that it's just the temp. Easy to fix. Just waiting for heating lamp.
The basking lamp is warmer now so just ambient temp to alter.
Although she goes through the motions, wakes up waddles around a bit, has an uninterested sniff of her food...she still won't spend any more than 5 minutes under the basking light and then she goes back to bed.
I'm really hoping that the heat lamp will do the trick.

jasmin1

France
Hi
Ok just thought I would update.
Jasmin has started eating. Only romaine lettuce at the mo and not too much but it's a start and she ate more today than yesterday. I need to expand her diet I know. But it's a start.
Thankyou so much for all the advice.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Don't leave out the other good food. Mix the romaine lettuce in with it. Glad she has started eating!