Horsefield not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ele

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site :)

My main worry is about my lovely little 1 year old Russian called Hoover. She's very active - loves literally running around in the garden and digging in her table box. She is incredibly friendly and doesn't mind being picked up and having her legs and head gently stroked.

Thing is she only wants to eat dandelion leaves and flowers. She will occasionally eat rose and pansy petals but only if we hand feed her and I don't want her to be reliant on that. Is it normal for a tortoise to only really want to eat dandelions? Will it be doing her harm? I sprinkle calcium on it twice a week.

My other problem is worrying me quite a bit, she only eats every other day! We try and tempt her with dandelion leaves and flowers but she will show no interest and when she's outside she shows even less interest.

She is a 1 year old and weighs 54g. Is this healthy?

She has a UV and heat lamp and a cooler area in her indoor enclosure. The box she lives in has deep soil as I know russians love to dig and she really does!

I'm not hibernating her this year as she is not putting on weight.

My theory is that she knows its getting colder from going in the garden and she wants to hibernate or maybe she overeats every other day?

Haven't seen her poo in a week either but it could be in the soil I guess.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ele

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ele:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

Could the tortoise be eating while outside and you're not seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.