Not eating!

Patricia p

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi, my 2 have come out of hibernation for 3weeks and are not eating,any ideas?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Can you tell us more about your torts - age size, how long you've had them etc?
Have you soaked them at all in shallow luke warm water yet? They can go longer without food than water.
Check the temps in their enclosures because it's still quite chilly for us in the UK.
Pictures of them and their enclosure/s and info about lamps used etc and usual diet are a great help.

The link below will give you a lot of valuable up to date information along with the caresheet on Med torts in this thread
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
My tort doesn't hibernate but I'll tag some members who will be experienced with it @Yvonne @Tom @zovick

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi, my 2 have come out of hibernation for 3weeks and are not eating,any ideas?
I would warm them up to about 31-32C in the daytime and keep them above 23C at night, soak them daily, and keep offering foods that they normally like to eat. Also provide a good source of UV light for them.

Hopefully, that will get them back in the groove.

Good luck.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Were they hibernating for 3 weeks, or have they not eaten for 3 weeks after hibernating?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Were they hibernating for 3 weeks, or have they not eaten for 3 weeks after hibernating?
Good question - I read it as been awake for 3 weeks but maybe it was short hibernation.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I took it to mean that the tortoises came out of hibernation three weeks ago and have not eaten since they woke up.