Not eating much

Zmschaeffer924

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
My desert tortoise is about 7 years old. He was soaking in water and then water came out of his nose and his mouth has some foamy slobber. It went away but then he didn’t really want to walk and would keep taking breaks. He is walking better today and no more clear fluids but still isn’t really wanting to eat. He eats dark leafy greens. Some flukers pellets and the occasional piece of fruit. He has an outdoor enclosure. He was out walking around one morning outside of his enclosure so there’s a chance he could have eaten dog poop.

Attachments

• 29060D16-AD87-4FAC-9801-DCE10CAF1B51.jpeg
    29060D16-AD87-4FAC-9801-DCE10CAF1B51.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

Gijoux

5 Year Member
Southern California
Dog poop won't kill him. I know it sounds awful, but they eat scat in the wild. Try offering him his favorite food. Soak him every day for at least 30 minutes until he is eating without hesitation. It sounds like he had been eating something, went to take a drink, and you observed the back flow of water out his nose. Lots of soaking should help dislodge anything stuck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's normal for water to come out the nose after a drink. The other end of the nostrils is in the roof of the mouth.

Zmschaeffer924

Las Vegas
Ok thank you so much. I did offer him his favorite foods but he would only eat a slice of banana. But I suppose that’s better than nothing. He has pooped twice since. It’s kind of a dark green. Is that normal?

Gijoux

5 Year Member
Southern California
Ok thank you so much. I did offer him his favorite foods but he would only eat a slice of banana. But I suppose that’s better than nothing. He has pooped twice since. It’s kind of a dark green. Is that normal?
Depending on what he ate last it might be. Good that he's pooping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My desert tortoise is about 7 years old. He was soaking in water and then water came out of his nose and his mouth has some foamy slobber. It went away but then he didn’t really want to walk and would keep taking breaks. He is walking better today and no more clear fluids but still isn’t really wanting to eat. He eats dark leafy greens. Some flukers pellets and the occasional piece of fruit. He has an outdoor enclosure. He was out walking around one morning outside of his enclosure so there’s a chance he could have eaten dog poop.
Its roasting hot in Vegas right now. Does he have a burrow to escape the heat? What is the temperature in his burrow?

DTs should never be fed fruit. Its not good for them. Please give this a read. It was written with DTs in mind, and there is diet info in there too:

Zmschaeffer924

Las Vegas
Its roasting hot in Vegas right now. Does he have a burrow to escape the heat? What is the temperature in his burrow?

DTs should never be fed fruit. Its not good for them. Please give this a read. It was written with DTs in mind, and there is diet info in there too:
Yes it’s unbelievably hot ? but he does have a burrow he goes in and shade if he doesn’t want to be in it. Also a shallow terra-cotta plate he will lay in sometimes. I don’t know what the temperature is in the burrow. I will put a temperature reader in it and check it in an hour or so.