Confused

Jackie-ytd

Location (City and/or State)
Nuneaton
Hi there my red foot is a bit sluggish this week yesterday he didn’t sleep in his hide like normal and today he isn’t walking or moving. I pick him up to make him drink and gab whom a bathe he’s still sluggish I’ve turned his temp up to 32 Celsius he’s not eating much and hasn’t fully ate in two days any ideas why his eyes still playing up he opens them after some prompting and a little wipe so I was just wanting any ideas please!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there my red foot is a bit sluggish this week yesterday he didn’t sleep in his hide like normal and today he isn’t walking or moving. I pick him up to make him drink and gab whom a bathe he’s still sluggish I’ve turned his temp up to 32 Celsius he’s not eating much and hasn’t fully ate in two days any ideas why his eyes still playing up he opens them after some prompting and a little wipe so I was just wanting any ideas please!
Are you using a closed chamber? Where is it 32C in the enclosure? The whole thing? What sort of heating and lighting are you using? UV? What type of UV bulb?

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
Are you using a closed chamber? Where is it 32C in the enclosure? The whole thing? What sort of heating and lighting are you using? UV? What type of UV bulb?
Hi he has a viv it’s 32 at the hot end and 25 at the cold end he has a 10% t8 uvb tube and a 100w white ceramic heat emitter with an on off thermostat

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What do you mean by "I pick him up to make him drink and gab whom a bathe"?
Where is Nuneaton?
How long have you had him?
More details will help us to help you!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@TammyJ Nuneaton is in the UK

@Jackie-ytd what heats your enclosure? It eeds to be steady 80-85F/27-29C day and night.tTher shouldn’t be a hot and cold end. This is a rainforest species and basking heat isn’t necessary.

You shouldn’t have straw in there. It goes mouldy. The substrate needs to be damp - all of it right to the bottom and into the corners.

There must be a water dish shallow enough for your tort to climb in and out of easily and big enouh for your tort to fit in completely so it can soak itself.

A soak in a large flat bottomed bowl of warm water every morning for 20-30 minutes will also help

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
Where is Nuneaton?
I mean I make sure he’s getting hydrated and bathe him in warm water for 20 minutes

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
@TammyJ Nuneaton is in the UK

@Jackie-ytd what heats your enclosure? It eeds to be steady 80-85F/27-29C day and night.tTher shouldn’t be a hot and cold end. This is a rainforest species and basking heat isn’t necessary.

You shouldn’t have straw in there. It goes mouldy. The substrate needs to be damp - all of it right to the bottom and into the corners.

There must be a water dish shallow enough for your tort to climb in and out of easily and big enouh for your tort to fit in completely so it can soak itself.

A soak in a large flat bottomed bowl of warm water every morning for 20-30 minutes will also help
I will sort the temp out. I change out the hay weekly is this still not good? He has a large pool to soak in and everyday I do soak him about 20 minutes he doesn’t especially like them but I do it for as long as he can bare. Any ideas about his eating habits and his eyes?

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
Where is Nuneaton?
I’ve had him 2 months he was 6 months when I got him from a breeder who also works with reptiles himself who’s bread red footed for years

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I will sort the temp out. I change out the hay weekly is this still not good? He has a large pool to soak in and everyday I do soak him about 20 minutes he doesn’t especially like them but I do it for as long as he can bare. Any ideas about his eating habits and his eyes?
The hay needs to go. Even if you take it out there will be little bits left that go mouldy.

Please read this care sheet compiled by TFO. We frequently see people advised by pet stores, breeders and vets using out of date techniques and advice and are working hard to correct it.