Not eating as much

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
I've noticed a few others have posted about their baby-to-yearling sulcatas not eating very much. Does this have anything to do with the weather?
I, too, have noticed that my sully is not eating as much as he/she usually does lately, but I'm not too concerned because he/she usually makes up for it when he does eat. Also, my little Tippie hates Mazuri, I can barely get him to eat it even with greens. Is the Mazuri a necessity or can I just opt out of trying every week, since he never eats it anyhow?
I'm happy to say that his carapace is smoothing out nicely thanks to the wonderful advice given here :D
IMG_20160115_155136.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Maruri is not necessary. I feel it's a luxury, actually. Torts eat grass or hay mainly, about 70% of their diet is made up of this. Endive, dandelion, certain weeds, hibiscus leaves and flower, spineless cactus, just to name a few other foods are what he can eat and still be very healthy. Perhaps Mazuri will be part of his food staple in the future. Don't forget the calcium supplements. :)

And, yes, winter months do tend to slow tort's eating patterns as well as activity;,but not always. It depends on the temps in their enclosure and whether or not they can see outside.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mazuri is not at all needed. i only feed it because it is convenient and my tortoises love the stuff!
Have you fed the regular Mazuri or the newer "L.S." type. The L.S. is more geared for a Sulcata. (My Redfoot will only eat the regular.)
I've seen tortoises that simply would not eat, start eating right away once given Mazuri. It has it's uses.;)
My tortoises have all slowed down their eating. Cooler weather makes digestion slower/ more difficult.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I don't worry about it a lot , as long as I see that over all he is eating . I could be wrong , but I feel they are opportunistic eaters and in the wild would tend to "load up" on a food they discover and like and then not be hungry again for a while. I think most animals eat this way in the wild , they gorge themselves when food is plentiful , so as to make it through when it is not . Tuesday Speedy loaded up on Mazuri and hay ,and has just nibbled at what I have offered since. I suspect he is holding out for his Mazuri and hay ! ;) Animals are not like people , who will eat 3 meals a day wether they need it or not . :)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have Leopards, not Sullys, but similar diet...mine eat mazuri LS but they prefer the grassland tortoise pellets. I alternate which ones I offer (usually only once or twice a week). In the winter, I offer the pellets more because I live in an area where everything freezes and the weeds are scarce so I have to rely more heavily on grocery store greens. As long as your little one isn't losing weight I wouldn't worry.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sulcatas are eating machines. They will graze and eat wherever they find food. Winter months may slow them down, but they will almost always eat unless something is not right i. e. Temps, sick. Other torts' eating patterns are different from sulcatas. Having said that, they will try and hold out for the Mazuri, but their nature will give out and they'll eat whatever is offered/available. Just keep an eye on his eating and pooping. When was the last time you've seen him poop?

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Sulcatas are eating machines. They will graze and eat wherever they find food. Winter months may slow them down, but they will almost always eat unless something is not right i. e. Temps, sick. Other torts' eating patterns are different from sulcatas. Having said that, they will try and hold out for the Mazuri, but their nature will give out and they'll eat whatever is offered/available. Just keep an eye on his eating and pooping. When was the last time you've seen him poop?
He poops nearly every time he soaks, which is usually daily. It's not that he goes without eating, but he used to graze all day and now it's just once or twice a day.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
I have Leopards, not Sullys, but similar diet...mine eat mazuri LS but they prefer the grassland tortoise pellets. I alternate which ones I offer (usually only once or twice a week). In the winter, I offer the pellets more because I live in an area where everything freezes and the weeds are scarce so I have to rely more heavily on grocery store greens. As long as your little one isn't losing weight I wouldn't worry.
Just weighed him today and he gained 10g since earlier this month. :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
UVA is indicated as important for even humans feelings of well being and energy levels. It does seem to definitely play a role in the pineal gland and chelonians "seeing" the circadian and the circannual cycles. I believe the photoperiod, and in particular the UVA period will definitely affect the activity levels of our tortoises. It is also a key in triggering the best breeding behaviors. SO that's the boring synopsis of the background to my reply, Now that is said...

What type UVA / UVB do you have for your tortoise? I think sometimes when we rely on natural sunlight because we can take them out fairly often, and therefore don't have good artificial UV in place. When that is the case, or a good UV source is simply not available, I think we will see the most dramatic effects of this.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
UVA is indicated as important for even humans feelings of well being and energy levels. It does seem to definitely play a role in the pineal gland and chelonians "seeing" the circadian and the circannual cycles. I believe the photoperiod, and in particular the UVA period will definitely affect the activity levels of our tortoises. It is also a key in triggering the best breeding behaviors. SO that's the boring synopsis of the background to my reply, Now that is said...

What type UVA / UVB do you have for your tortoise? I think sometimes when we rely on natural sunlight because we can take them out fairly often, and therefore don't have good artificial UV in place. When that is the case, or a good UV source is simply not available, I think we will see the most dramatic effects of this.
I have this bulb for him. I don't think is has UVA, but thankfully it's warm enough for him to go out for brief periods now._20160130_122008.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Young sulcatas should have a good appetite. There are some days where they just eat a lot and other days where you can't believe how much that little tortoise can put away. There should not be days where they don't each much. This should be cause for concern for a young one that is living indoors in controlled conditions.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

What are you using for heating and lighting besides the MVB? Night heat?

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Young sulcatas should have a good appetite. There are some days where they just eat a lot and other days where you can't believe how much that little tortoise can put away. There should not be days where they don't each much. This should be cause for concern for a young one that is living indoors in controlled conditions.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

What are you using for heating and lighting besides the MVB? Night heat?
He has a che for nights and a basking bulb for during the day. His night low is 87° on average and his basking area is 98° inside his hide it is usually 84° and the coldest side stays around 76°. Today is one of those days where I'm not sure where he puts it all! It's not so much that he isn't eating, just that, like you said, some days he grazes all day and other days he doesn't eat as much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He has a che for nights and a basking bulb for during the day. His night low is 87° on average and his basking area is 98° inside his hide it is usually 84° and the coldest side stays around 76°. Today is one of those days where I'm not sure where he puts it all! It's not so much that he isn't eating, just that, like you said, some days he grazes all day and other days he doesn't eat as much.

How old is he and what does he weigh?