Not drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
Good morning from Sweden! Throughout the previous days I've noticed that my Hermann isn't drinking a lot, I haven't seen him drinking at all for a while, to be honest. Any ideas why this is happening? He's living in a outdoor habitat right now and the days are pretty hot and dry, which contributes a lot to my worries. :( :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
He may just be drinking, when your not observing him. Is he acting "normal" otherwise? Can he get in and out of his water source easy? Does the water get too hot in it? Have you tried other ways of offering water like spraying his area with a hose? Leaving the water hose on just enough for a small trickle to run across the enclosure?

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
He may just be drinking, when your not observing him. Is he acting "normal" otherwise? Can he get in and out of his water source easy? Does the water get too hot in it? Have you tried other ways of offering water like spraying his area with a hose? Leaving the water hose on just enough for a small trickle to run across the enclosure?

Perhaps that is the case, after watching him for a couple of hours he acts normally and well, been running around his enclosure for hours until he went down into the hole he dug to rest, probably because of the rising warmth. The water is not at all too hot, and it is accessible as he walks through it now and then. I might try spraying later on to be certain. Thank you for the help. :)

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Are you soaking him regularly? He'll be able to get some water when he's having a bath. It sounds like he's still pretty active though, so I wouldn't worry too much about him unless that changes.

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
ColinF87 said:
Are you soaking him regularly? He'll be able to get some water when he's having a bath. It sounds like he's still pretty active though, so I wouldn't worry too much about him unless that changes.

Not right now, I am currently staying with my family and tort in a small house near the coast, where we often spend our summer holidays. We don't have anything for him to soak in available, so I thought he'd be alright without it for a month - he has access to water after all. I will nonetheless head out to the local store and buy something for him to soak in.

Owner of one little Hermann Tort. :)

Update: Now he has been soaked and he did pee, so it seems he's been drinking after all. However he was pretty much horrified by the bath, fled to one corner tub and tries hopelessly to climb out. He refused to leave the corner and eventually I picked him up as he seemingly panicked. Maybe I filled it up with too much water? Problem solved anyway, thanks for all your advices!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Swetortoise said:
ColinF87 said:

Not right now, I am currently staying with my family and tort in a small house near the coast, where we often spend our summer holidays. We don't have anything for him to soak in available, so I thought he'd be alright without it for a month - he has access to water after all. I will nonetheless head out to the local store and buy something for him to soak in.

Update: Now he has been soaked and he did pee, so it seems he's been drinking after all. However he was pretty much horrified by the bath, fled to one corner tub and tries hopelessly to climb out. He refused to leave the corner and eventually I picked him up as he seemingly panicked. Maybe I filled it up with too much water? Problem solved anyway, thanks for all your advices!

Try giving him a warm bath in the morning, before he's warmed up! Someone mentioned that trick to me to calm down my bath-hating Hermann, and now he LOVES his morning baths. But only in the morning :)

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
Pokeymeg said:
Swetortoise said:
ColinF87 said:

Try giving him a warm bath in the morning, before he's warmed up! Someone mentioned that trick to me to calm down my bath-hating Hermann, and now he LOVES his morning baths. But only in the morning :)

I just woke up in 05 AM, so I'll give that a shot today! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.