Not another Livingstone Update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Hey there TFO folks,

Livingstone has been getting back to his roots this summer and been acting like a real sulcata recently. The temperatures here in Richmond have been very high (climate change is real), with an equally high ambient humidity, so high that even a sulcata didn't want to be out in it. I think this is what triggered his "big dig". For those that haven't seen the previous livingstone updates, he is 4 years old and weighs about 40lbs now. He has always shown an interest in digging but always gave up after a few tries and never pursued it further than a one time attempt... until now. His out door house has a hinged A-frame roof that allows me to open it and inspect whats going on. The house mimics a natural burrow in that there is a 90 degree right turn about 2 ft in past the doorway. I dug out a depression in the house area so he could be cooler, maybe 6 inches deep, so I did help him get started. He has spent the last four-ish days in his house and today he came out so I snapped some updates. In case anybody is interested, the temp of the soil at its deepest point is 62 degrees farenheit on a 99 degree day.
Enjoy the pics.

This was the start of his dig, you can see how rocky and rooted the soil is in our backyard.

This is the current state, about two and a half weeks of digging. You can see how the soil type has changed to clay now.

Another early pic showing the orientation and scale of the dig.

Later pic from the same position as the above photo.

All this digging sure makes a guy hungry.

Nom, nom, nom. (He hadn't been out of his house in 4 days).

Thanks for watching, now get outta my house!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Great job all around...I'd love to put Livingstone and Monstro (formerly Climber) side-by-side for a photo op! I'm very pleased with the enclosure...the burrow...and the awesome variety in his diet! ;)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
He is a very handsome tortoise. Great job. How deep is that burrow?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never seen pics of your tortoise house. It's fantastic! I love the little tunnel going in.

In the "Crying Tortoise" book, it says a sulcata can dig its body length in 3 minutes. He's just getting warmed up!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Did you move (and convert) his indoor enclosure to the outdoors? I'm still blown away regardless...

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
DeanS said:
Did you move (and convert) his indoor enclosure to the outdoors? I'm still blown away regardless...

We moved 2 hours south to Richmond Virginia. He does live inside 7 months a year, but has both an indoor and outdoor enclosure.
Here's a pic of the outdoor enclosure:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Nice! I'll bet he tears it up before the season is up ;) Take a look at Monstro's work! In the first shot we have an intact Sun-Ray Jungle Gym. In the second...a (removed) split rail rock climber. Apparently Monstro emerged from one of his favorite resting spots...hooked his shell on the rail...and kept on walking, tearing the climber right off the support beam! WOW! I'm only grateful that he wasn't injured in the process.

2u4la1z.jpg

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Dizisdalife said:
He is a very handsome tortoise. Great job. How deep is that burrow?

Thanks. The burrow goes back about a foot. I need to take more accurate measurements but its hard to judge because I don't have a fixed point.

DeanS said:
Nice! I'll bet he tears it up before the season is up ;) Take a look at Monstro's work! In the first shot we have an intact Sun-Ray Jungle Gym. In the second...a (removed) split rail rock climber. Apparently Monstro emerged from one of his favorite resting spots...hooked his shell on the rail...and kept on walking, tearing the climber right off the support beam! WOW! I'm only grateful that he wasn't injured in the process.

2u4la1z.jpg

Wow. That's crazy, it's pretty unreal how strong and determined these guys are (also the lack of reverse is hysterical).

BK-JAY

5 Year Member
Brooklyn New York
wow I been waiting for a update on LIVINGSTONE he's looks great as always 40 lbs huh he getting up there keep up the great job your doinghe's 1 of my favorite tortoise on here

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
BK-JAY said:
wow I been waiting for a update on LIVINGSTONE he's looks great as always 40 lbs huh he getting up there keep up the great job your doinghe's 1 of my favorite tortoise on here

Thank you, that's a great compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.