"Livingstone's alive!" or "I did it for Dean".

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Hello there TFO folks,

For those of you that are not familiar with Livingstone, he is a 5 year old sulcata that lives in Richmond Virginia. I have owned him since he was the size of a ping-pong ball, he is now 45 lbs, and very happy to be outside for summer because like all sulcata's he prefers the real thing.

Anyways, it's been a while since I posted any photos of him and there was some prodding by another member to make an update post... Ergo, here is an update post of Livingstone.

Please keep in mind he lives in a burrow, therefore he is dirty.

Damn, it's that guy with camera. He was gone for a while.

Hey! Get out of here!

Nevermind, there's weeds.

Nom, nom, nom, etc.

Good thing the suns out, I gotta digest this stuff.

Maybe I'll check out what this guys doing.

Aint got no food! Boring.

Paparazzi better bring some dandelion next time.

Thanks for checking out my thread. If you have any questions or comments please post.
And for those of you who are thinking about getting a sulcata... this was 5 years ago.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great looking sully. Love the captions, perfect. Thanks for,sharing, glad DeanS talked you into it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I am happy to take ALL credit for this much awaited update! He's friggin' gorgeous! Don't make me wait so long next time! ;)

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Wow! He's gorgeous! Is it just me, or is he kinda big for 5 years? You must do an amazing job with him!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
There are more and more sulcata reaching 40 - 50 pounds by the time they're 5 years old. I've got one...Tom has a couple...and those are just the ones I know of!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
There are more and more sulcata reaching 40 - 50 pounds by the time they're 5 years old. I've got one...Tom has a couple...and those are just the ones I know of!

We role in good company. I'm always happy to be associated with the two of you in terms of care given to our captive animals. In all honesty I feel like I got in at the right time to benefit from what we were all learning. Although I have to hand it to Tom and Dean, they really are quite genius when it comes to understanding the influences of outside stimuli on tortoises. Pretty much I rubber stamped their approach until I had it figured out. Although at this point if anybody wants to know how to keep a 40lb sulcata inside for 6 months without going crazy, feel free to message me. That's probably the only area I "might" know more at this point.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Nice looking fellow. I like it!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's probably the only area I "might" know more at this point.

There is no "might" about it. You've got me there. If ever I move to the frozen North I will be taking lessons from YOU.

M

Maggie Cummings

He has grown into a beautiful animal. So smooth and what a handsome face. You have done an excellent job. Just goes to show that Northern Sulcata are not damaged at all by the 'Northern" part. You just have to stay on top of the care, and Livingstone is a perfect example of that. Good job!!! He's just beautiful...

Just out of curiosity, how do you keep him in the winter? If you don't mind my asking...

Last edited by a moderator:

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
He has grown into a beautiful animal. So smooth and what a handsome face. You have done an excellent job. Just goes to show that Northern Sulcata are not damaged at all by the 'Northern" part. You just have to stay on top of the care, and Livingstone is a perfect example of that. Good job!!! He's just beautiful...

Just out of curiosity, how do you keep him in the winter? If you don't mind my asking...

When I re-erect his indoor digs I'm going to do a post on it. So please hold tight.