Not again?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Most of you know about what I went thru with Bob and his giant stone. 3 years ago the local wildlife rescue called me as they had a tortoise who was found wandering in downtown Portland Oregon.
That was a badly pyramided Sulcata tortoise I named Knobby as he looks like a dirt bike tire. Then Knobby had a sex change operation last year and became Mary Knobbins. All her new grown is normal, I have worked hard on her diet and did start soaking her. But in the water she panicked in a way I have never seen before. So I made sure there was lots of water available should she get thirsty. I have soaked the hell outa her, but she never got used to it. In 3 years I have never seen her drink.
So yesterday I was sweeping in the tort shed when Mary started grunting, straining and poop! look at what she pushed out...
Frankly, I am getting upset, and scared. I even gave her sub Q fluids for about 4 months. What the heck???????
Any advice?
100_6250.JPG

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
At least they are coming out to this point. She clearly suffered dehydration for a long time and I would guess your good care now is working these things loose that have been there from the day you got her. One can only hope if there are more they to will be small enough to come out

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe try feeding more foods. I know they aren't so great to feed all the time but what's the difference if you have a tort getting stones. You can still mix it with good stuff anyway.
I would add regular head lettuce, water melon and cucumbers on a regular basis and try to find a low sided extra large water dish/saucer the she can get into to drink and soak. Maybe if it's not too deep she will go in it.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Most of you know about what I went thru with Bob and his giant stone. 3 years ago the local wildlife rescue called me as they had a tortoise who was found wandering in downtown Portland Oregon.
That was a badly pyramided Sulcata tortoise I named Knobby as he looks like a dirt bike tire. Then Knobby had a sex change operation last year and became Mary Knobbins. All her new grown is normal, I have worked hard on her diet and did start soaking her. But in the water she panicked in a way I have never seen before. So I made sure there was lots of water available should she get thirsty. I have soaked the hell outa her, but she never got used to it. In 3 years I have never seen her drink.
So yesterday I was sweeping in the tort shed when Mary started grunting, straining and poop! look at what she pushed out...
Frankly, I am getting upset, and scared. I even gave her sub Q fluids for about 4 months. What the heck???????
Any advice?
View attachment 314911

mare you trying to steal my thunder? ?
But this is good news!!
Now that they are out you can fill her with fluids and water to clean everything and manage the stones don’t come back. Right?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
mare you trying to steal my thunder? ?
But this is good news!!
Now that they are out you can fill her with fluids and water to clean everything and manage the stones don’t come back. Right?

I was told recently that some “Sulcata” produce more uric acid than normal..
and that can cause stones (no matter how you feed or care for them)...
If this is in any way incorrect please let me know! I was just told this by an exotic vet.