Normal?

nikkidphoto

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395682264.043851.jpg
This is the plastron on my approx 10 month old redfoot tortoise. I've looked at thousands of pictures and can't find any other tort with this except hatchlings when the yoke starts drying out. I feel like he's just too old to still have it? It's been that way since I got him back in October of 2013 he may be anywhere from 6-10 months old. He's grown twice his size since I got him. Eats and drinks. I take him outside every once in a while but it's been cold so I've kept him inside under a mvb and heat light. I supplement calcium powder and vitamins every once in a whole and feed him freeze dried bugs once a week for protein. He's currently on paper towels but was on coco coir with aspen on top. When I got him his yoke area was completely dry not open or wet. Any ideas?

0.0.1 red foot tort "batman"
3.2.0 ball pythons
1.1.0 cats
3.2.0 human children

Last edited by a moderator:

RGB

5 Year Member
Looks like rapid growth... Perhaps in too dry of an environment.
That's my guess!

I've seen Hermanns raised that grew quickly and we're kept too dry that had that rippled look to the plastron. I have also seen the plastron on these torts flatten out after a summer outside. I presume due to the damper ground... I have nothing else to base this opinion on other than this simple observation.... So take it for what it's worth! Lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sometimes it's just the way it is. However, how are you housing him? They do need a high humidity, but with the top layer being dry, as they are more prone to shell rot and shell fungus then others.