Night shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Does anyone else here do nights and keep a tortoise in their room?? Am on 4 night shifts from tonight. Have tried sleeping during the day with his light on but that's not worked as too light for me. Should I make him nocturnal and leave his light on overnight and off during the day? Moving him to another room not really practical for various reasons.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's uncomfortable at first, but you quickly get used to sleeping with those eye covers on. They effectively block out all light.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
I've never heard of anyone switching their torts sleeping schedule that drastically. i suppose it could be done if he never sees daylight, but that's not something you want to do. I'm not sure, but i think most tortoises can be fooled by the lights in their enclosure, while others just.....know.

i wouldn't recommend it. i wouldn't know how to begin lolll. the only advice i can give is direct the lights away from your bed, if you have a glass tank, get an aquarium background, that could block most. or hang a curtain from the ceiling to block it (like in a hospital)

OR invest in some sleeping pills and night shades :D maybe someone who has experience with this will help.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
We got curtains with special blackout lining for our bedroom: they blick out the light really well. They're not hard to make, if you or any if your friends sew. I also use a sleep mask, and I LOVE it! They're soft and warm over your eyes and block out all the light. Be sure and get one with an ADJUSTABLE Velcro strap, or it may not fit well enough.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Why not make a cover for the tank? You couldn't cover the light holders but it would help. I also like the suggestion of the room divider. Good luck either way!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I work nights but I don't have any animals in my room so I can't help you.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Maybe you could position the lighting side of the enclosure in a closet? Or stack boxes on either side and weigh down a blanket over the top so that it covered it without laying on it?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I would also recommend a blackout curtain of some type either around the tortoise enclosure or around your bed like in a hospital. lol

Mine is in the living room and I have a blanket in front of the enclosure area (mainly to hold in heat and humidity) and it effectively blocks the light also. I work nights and I'm glad I'm home during the day while the tortoise is up so I can keep an eye on it.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I don't keep my tortoises in my room but I did have to move some to my garage for the winter time and I slowly changed their schedules from their regular outside time to having their lights turn on at 8PM and turn off at 10AM. I did this because my garage is quite warm during the day and it gets pretty cold during the night so I wanted them to stay somewhat warm all day and night, don't make a sudden change to his day/night but an hour here and there and you should have what works for both of you in the next 2 weeks. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.