Next enclosure ideas- need feedback

Jami

Hello!

I'm trying to decide what my next enclosure for my Hermann's hatchling should be. I've been offered a wooden rectangular box to be made for me. I've also been looking at the tortoise enclosure that Big Apple Pet Supply has - the one that is plastic on the bottom and has metal caging on top of the plastic. Think guinea pig cage, but larger and stronger metal parts. (To handle the heat lamps).

If I go with wood, and I need the screened top, would a lid out if the 1/2 inch holes hardware cloth work or do I still need to cut a hole into that to make sure he's getting all the UV rays? I've heard that if I use even the 1/4 inch holes hardware cloth/screen that those are big enough not make the UV dispersed too much.

I'm still leery of the wooden enclosure. I like the idea of the plastic bottom and the cage part as the sides and top. That one is pretty big too, so it'd last my baby a little while.

What do you think?
Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Tortoise are best, because your tort can't see out and are very flexible for the future. How big is the box? Seen people using those cages, but I think there would be a problem with humidity!

Jami

Tortoise are best, because your tort can't see out and are very flexible for the future. How big is the box? Seen people using those cages, but I think there would be a problem with humidity!
Hi - I was thinking that about humidity as well. I can have the box made in a size I choose and for now would be 40 inches long and 20 inches wide. He's only 2.5 inches long so it would be ok this size for a while.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, that wiuld be great right now. Hermanns don't grow to bug, but can you add-on in the future?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I know. But he needs to be up and have a cover of some sort due to the cats.
You can get covers for them (there are a few at home). You can place it where the cats don't have access, is that possible?

Jami

You can get covers for them (there are a few at home). You can place it where the cats don't have access, is that possible?
Yes, and I can put the hardware cloth on top. But am wondering if I need to cut a hole in that or be able to let the MVP shine thru it.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Yes, and I can put the hardware cloth on top. But am wondering if I need to cut a hole in that or be able to let the MVP shine thru it.
The covers won't let a lot of UVB in & heat... It might look like this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405997389.964988.jpg
Ours here have a white lid that matches the container (not really white but a littler more opaque than the photo)! :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Gotcha - we have a bunch. But I worry about the heat of the lamps?
I don't think anything will happen, won't the bulb be inside? Are you afraid the sides are going to melt? What are you worrying about :)

Jami

I don't think anything will happen, won't the bulb be inside? Are you afraid the sides are going to melt? What are you worrying about :)
Mostly worry about the plastic getting too hot and/or making bad chemicals or smells from being too hot.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Mostly worry about the plastic getting too hot and/or making bad chemicals or smells from being too hot.
I've never heard of anything from those bulbs, I don't believe it's possible but they tend to get kind of hot... I see where your going with this:) hope someone with some experience drops in!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What I've seen is people cutting out most of the middle of the lid, leaving a wide border including the rim of the lid to make it stay on & give it strength. The opening is filled with chicken wire or hardware cloth. Ventilation. No heat build up. Some variation can be tried with a hole for the light & another for ventilation.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
What I've seen is people cutting out most of the middle of the lid, leaving a wide border including the rim of the lid to make it stay on & give it strength. The opening is filled with chicken wire or hardware cloth. Ventilation. No heat build up. Some variation can be tried with a hole for the light & another for ventilation.
I think he's concerned that the bulb's produce heat (especially around the fixture) may be hot and melt/ruin the plastic. Is that possible?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Yes, it's possible. The plastic on a rabbit house melted from the bulb touching it.

That's why it needs to be a huge tub & the light far from walls & ventilated.