My Enclosure For Surprise Sulcatas Hatchlings

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
First let me show you the high tech state of the art incubation system I used:)pic 006.jpg A simple rubber maid container sitting on a homemade heated ceramic tile, temperature controlled by a dimmer. Sitting on top of a roaster that is stored on the refrigerator, since October. There are small holes drilled around the top edge just below the blue top for air transfer.The eggs are sitting on moistened perlite. I didn't set the heated tile directly on the refrigerator. Here's 2 pics of their quickly setup enclosure. pic 002.jpgpic 007.jpg It's small but so are they. This is basically the same setup that I used with Alex, no hot incandescent light or che used. Again I am using my heated tiles, 2 below, a 12 inch on the left side and a 8 inch on the right side. The raised tile on the left side is 8 inches, setting on old empty glass spice jars. It is the only only heat source inside the enclosure, The bottom 2 tiles are not touching the glass just the plastic frame. The temp readings at surface level are 91 on the left side and 82 on the right side and moisture is between 71 and 85. Lighting is Reptisun 5. The substrate is aged cypress mulch that I screened thru 1/4 inch hardware cloth. No full time water bowl. The light is 20 watts and all 3 tiles together are only 32 watts, 52 watts total usage.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you make the heated tiles? Explain please, very interested in raising any further hatchlings without using the very drying MVB and CHE. My thought was to have the MVB and CHE heat go through the plastic tote that sits in a heated enclosure. I think I like your idea better.

Btw, how many eggs do you have cooking?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Did you make the heated tiles? Explain please, very interested in raising any further hatchlings without using the very drying MVB and CHE. My thought was to have the MVB and CHE heat go through the plastic tote that sits in a heated enclosure. I think I like your idea better.

Btw, how many eggs do you have cooking?
I make the tiles using either flexwatt or self regulating heating cable, sealed with 100% silicone caulk between ceramic tiles. I also use this system for heating the outside winter sulcata housing. Enoch laid again last night, I got 15 good eggs and maybe 5 or 6 left on top or the refrigerator that could hatch, I have several containers with eggs in them from Alex and Enoch. Time will tell about them.