Newest indoor enclosure

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Rosie was living in a plastic tote bin after moving and so I decided we needed to make her something larger. She's about 5 years old and will eventually be living outside when we get a fence installed.

Anyway, about the enclosure:

It's about 31" by 62" and 24" tall. The one side has a 40watt bulb for basking and a 5.0 uvb reptisun tube bulb. The other side has no added light but plenty of moss, plants (fake and real) and her water saucer.

Substrate is peat moss with cypress on top and sheets of moss in various places.

It stays about 82F and 80-85% humidity. The basking spot is 88-95F and the cooler side is about 78-80F.

Whole thing
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441583695.349782.jpg

Warmer bright side
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441583712.687136.jpg

Cooler jungly side
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441583748.637701.jpg

Rosie hiding in the mossy log
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441583779.721751.jpg

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
That's a pretty cool looking enclosure! I wish they made logs like yours for bigger reds. I have to tie two jumbo cork flats together just so my biggest girl can snugly fit in. Awesome job :D

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Thanks! Yeah, when she's larger she'll be outside with real logs. I had no luck keeping even the tortoise half-log hides from molding so quickly.

She's really seeming to enjoy it. She used to always be tromping about and climbing the walls but now she mainly sits on the warm side during the day, stretches, does some laps, tastes her plants, destroys the decor, then burrows down in the moss lying in wait to be fed.

She was basking today and I swear she likes watching us as much as we enjoy watching her. She doesn't seem stressed by the clear front but she does follow you as you walk by.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441678855.109666.jpg

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
What do you use as your heat source during the night time? I am new about will be getting my first Redfoot within the next few weeks and am just figuring it all out, so I'm looking for ideas!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Right now I don't have a night heat source. The house only drops to 76 at night and her enclosure stays about 78-80. When winter hits I'll have a CHE in there as well.