Newcomer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eileen Hill

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So. Calif, Inland Empire

Hello my name is Eileen,

I have a Salcata named Charger no idea how old he is, got him as an adult from an animal shelter. I have had Charger for 4 or 5 years now, and he fits in the family rather well, obnoxious and annoying just like the rest of us. Charger has some possessive issues when it comes to food, that is how he got his name, if you are too close too his food he'll go after you, knocked a friend on his butt once too funny, I forgot to tell him not to hold the food and feed him.

I was worried when I first brought him home that the dogs might chew on him, I have seen that dome to smaller tortoises really sad, but the dogs all give him the right of way and the worst thing that has happened was that Charger trapped my Rottweiler mix in his house once, Rahsa my dog went into Charger's house and Charger just came in and blocked the exit, I was looking all over for that dog.

Found this site because I need to trim Chargers beak, never done it before but I figure you just use dog toe nail clippers or something like that who knows the answer to that one, and I also assume that since it is more like a nail it should not hurt, but I expect he will not like it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Eileen:

Welcome to the forum!!

You CAN use a dog toe nail clipper, however, if Charger IS an adult and full grown, his beak will be too hard for the clippers. What most people use on a really hard, adult beak is a Dremmel tool. It files rather than clips.

I'd love to see a picture of Charger. If you have any on your computer, you can post them rather easily by using either tinypic.com or opening a free account at Photobucket.

Eileen Hill

5 Year Member
So. Calif, Inland Empire
Cool another tool I need, do enjoy those.

Thank you I'll see what I can do about pictures still new to them on the computer.
emysemys said:
Hi Eileen:

Welcome to the forum!!

You CAN use a dog toe nail clipper, however, if Charger IS an adult and full grown, his beak will be too hard for the clippers. What most people use on a really hard, adult beak is a Dremmel tool. It files rather than clips.

I'd love to see a picture of Charger. If you have any on your computer, you can post them rather easily by using either tinypic.com or opening a free account at Photobucket.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Welcome Eileen. I laughed at the name Charger. Males seem to do that with food. Tank is only 2 and when I go to put his food down he charges at my hand. Lana is female and bigger and older and she never charges. Pics please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.