Status
Not open for further replies.

AMBene

10 Year Member!
I am getting to leopard hatchlings, about 2" each. I have set up an indoor enclosure for now. Please let me know what you think and any advise is appreciated.
The enclosure is a 22 x 38, 6" deep plastic pan with a wire cover so I can bring the outdoors without worry about preditors until they get bigger. I have a hide out, a powersun uvb heat lamp (100w) on a stand. I have digital thermometers on both ends of the enclosure to monitor temps. I plan on using repti sand and bedabeast 70/30 as my substrate and put in a very shallow small container of water, as well as a daily soaking. I also plan on putting in a small container of portulaca and a pan of bermuda grass. I have bought orchard hay and bermuda hay. Can you think of anything else? Is my enclosure large enought for a year?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are covering everything pretty well. You can also feed your baby leos a variety of greens. Dandelions, red leaf lettuce, escarole, romaine. I would think that would last you for a year, but everyone grows at different rates. Good luck with your new babies and post some pics for us to see of your set up. Others will chime in to give you advice!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congrats on your new shelled little ones. And welcome to the forum.

AMBene

10 Year Member!
Do you find your leopards friendly? I keep reading that they are shy.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Mine are pretty shy.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My leopards are about 2". It took a few months before they quit being so shy. Now they see me coming with food and they head toward the side of their container. When I pick them up & face them toward me, they slowly will come out of their shell. They still pull back when I try to pet their heads tho. That will come.

Your set up sounds good and should be OK for a couple years. Is the PowerSun a UVB or UVA?

Don't know where you live, but when it is over 65 outside, take your babies out for some natural sun. I take my whole tub out onto the porch where they get indirect sun all day. They are much more active and their appetites are better. I have a small paint roller pan for water for them. I mound the soil up at the end of it & the side that isn't against the side of the container, so they can get in & out easily with less chance of falling over. I keep a screen over the top to keep unwanted critters out.

Good luck
Patsy

AMBene

10 Year Member!
My two came today. Seem pretty happy. Ate well today.

My powersun is a mercury vapor and provides both UVA and UVB, I believe. (The box says so) It is a professional series 160W.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
AMBene said:
My two came today. Seem pretty happy. Ate well today.

My powersun is a mercury vapor and provides both UVA and UVB, I believe. (The box says so) It is a professional series 160W.

Congratulations on your new babies.
Make sure your PowerSun is 16"-18" from your basking spot and keep checking the temps. It is very easy for it to get too hot if the outside temp goes up.
Good luck
Patsy

AMBene

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the advice. I have it 18" from the substrate and digital thermometers on both ends of the enclosure so I can monitor both the cool end and warm end. My cool end ranges around 75 during the day and 70 at night. The warm end around 90 during the day and 80 at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.