Leopard Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joslynnchristine

5 Year Member
Hi i am new to this and just want to make sure i am doing everything right. I have a 2 month old leopard tortoise.

I have a zoo med powersun 100w light that provides uva, uvb and heat on him for at least 12 hours a day and for the rest of the day i have zoo med nightlight red bulb 100w as well. The light is about a foot in a half from him.

I am keeping him in a container about a foot in a half by two feet. he has a water dish and a food dish. There is a box in the container for shade.

Right now i am feeding him spring mix (im in the middle of growing bermuda grass for him). There is also cuttlebone pieces in his food dish. For his substrate i am using zoo med eco earth loose coconut fiber.

-How often should i soak him?
-Am i using the right lights?
-Should i be doing anything else?
-I know he need to be out side but when i live there is ALOT of wind and kinda cold. What should i do?

tn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi JoslynnChristine:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

It looks like you're doing everything right. The only thing I would change would be to get a bigger container.

I soak my babies every day.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Joslynnchristine said:
-How often should i soak him?
-Am i using the right lights?
-Should i be doing anything else?
-I know he need to be out side but when i live there is ALOT of wind and kinda cold. What should i do?

- I would recommend soaking everyday for ten minutes or so.
- Your lighting is adequate. I would recommend additional lighting if you are not able to get him outside. Some full spectrum florescent's may stimulate his apatite and increase his activity level.
- How often do you feed him?
- Pay attention to the temperatures where he would have outdoors access too. Even in 50 - 60 degree weather, in direct sunlight, he will be able to regulate his body temperature to where it needs to be. I would keep him outside until he stops exploring and tries to hide somewhere to sleep.

Some other thoughts on your set up - maybe it's just me, but the position of your light makes me nervous being so close to your wall. Also, It also seems a bit high. How many inches away is the end of the bulb from the substrate? What is your temperature on that spot? Ideally, somewhere around 100 degrees is where you want to be. And if that's what it is currently than maybe the height you have it is ok.

I'd also recommend replacing the cardboard hide with a plastic shoebox with a hole cut out. If you keep the inside moist, he would have a nice humid hide, and a place to feel secure.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks good, just provide humidity and regular soaks and it will strive :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There are a couple of care sheets, including one from Neal, in my signature below. Just click away...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

I would get a larger tub that can be covered to contain humidity....

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I wouldn't use such a big bulb at night. I just use a heat mat under his hide at night in colder weather. Stays 82f

Joslynnchristine

5 Year Member
I feed him about 2 to 3 times a day. He eats alot. Is that to much?
I saw somewhere that it is bad for leopards to have a humid spot. Is that not true?
The temp is about 85 right now, should i lower the light? i just didnt want it to be too hot.
Most of the time he will just sit there and kinda just nudge his head and arms. Is the normal?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Joslynnchristine said:
I saw somewhere that it is bad for leopards to have a humid spot. Is that not true?
The temp is about 85 right now, should i lower the light? i just didnt want it to be too hot.
Most of the time he will just sit there and kinda just nudge his head and arms. Is the normal?

you sound like me when I got my guy for the first time i had a million questions. the nudging is just him breathing no worries. remember to make one side humid wet the soil usually the side with the light is best so it stays warm dont be afraid to sod the one side ill show you my set up. i used what your using when i first started my guy liked the smaller hides with moss inside so he can get snug. and feel safe. humidity is key

Attachments

• DSC_0434.JPG
    DSC_0434.JPG
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 36

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Joslynnchristine said:

- As long as you are giving him a good varied diet. I say, let him eat as much as he will. 2 times a day is good with some grazing in between, so it sounds like yours is right on track.
- We've shown on the forum over and over again that humidity does not harm tortoises...Time will tell if there are any long term negative effect of being in a high humid environment, but I for one, don't think there would be. What's debatable is if it is necessary for them to grow smooth. If you do provide a humid hide, just be sure to monitor the temperatures more closely because tortoises will be more prone to respiratory issues in cool, humid environments.
- If your basking spot is 85, I would definitely lower the light. You're going to want the basking spot somewhere closer to 100.
- He could be bored...I do believe this happens to some tortoises. Try adding some rocks and plants to see if his activity level perks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.