Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Just back from your enclosure thread.... That's how I've been using it but I may be wrong about that, we'll see if someone else jumps in about that one and \ no I don't use a thermostat with it - it's on all day from about 7.30 until tort goes to bed but I do with the CHE at night which goes on at his bedtime. Some people use timers with their lights/che to make their life easier but I'm usually around to do it myself.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ceramic heat emitter (I think) It's the same sort of screw fitting as a bulb and only gives out heat which is great for night because torts need complete darkness to sleep. I got mine from The Range with a thermostat - cost about £57 in total - not cheap but saves on electricity in the long run and keeps even temp so tort doesn't cook in enclosure. Mine looks like this

images
and thermostat similar to this
images

Richabi

wales uk
Iv got a constant temp of about 18 to 20 over night I suppose that's OK for him I think my fish tank keeps the temperature up

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know what the temp ranges for day and night should be for your tort - but I'm sure the care sheet or maybe some of the more experienced keepers wlll help you with.
There's a 'formula' I've seen a few times on here which is
humid and warm = healthy tort
humid and cold = sick tort
so those are things you need to get right for your species. There is more to tortoise keeping than meets the eye isn't there? Lots to learn and lots of money to spend to get it right!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome ! ! !

Richabi

wales uk
For my tort it should be 20 in the cool area and between 29 and 32 in the warm which it is and between 50 70 % humidity and its at 54% Ye there is more to it but I read loads of care sheets before buying thought I had it nailed how wrong was I out shopping for me tomorrow

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There is a lot of conflicting info out there and pet shops just want you to spend your cash to help their profits - without really knowing what your tort needs.

The most up to date and tried and tested info is on this forum from very experienced keepers who only have nothing to gain except healthy torts and happy keepers. So forget what you've read elsewhere (unless it matches with what has been said here) - this is always the first place I look for answers now. It saves money on equipment and vets bills

Happy shopping!

Richabi

wales uk
Been shopping pets at home has had my hard earned cash got bulb and orchid bark just need to line the table with vinyl tiles feel as if I'm in the right Road now

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Don't be surprised if when you turn the Arcadia bulb off it doesn't always come straight back on if you try - there is something in the leaflet about a reason for this but can't remember what at the moment - I thought mine was broken at first but it will come back on after a short while - that's why I don't use it on a thermostat.

Richabi

wales uk
No all good straight on says on the instructions duel bulbs can't be thermostatically controlled I'm almost finished the refurbishment got pics on the process will update later once tobys had his soak

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's when they've been on for a while and then turned off, I think they need time to cool before switching on again. I thought I had a dud but it's quite normal.