Richabi

Location (City and/or State)
wales uk
Hello to all I'm Richard from Wales in the UK I'm new to keeping tortoises any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello Richard, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your tortoise(s).
I'm half Welsh myself and there are a few others I'm sure you'll encounter here.
I think this forum has the most up to date and complete information on tortoise care there is and many members with many years experience of all kinds of torts and turtles. If it's one year old, it's not usually possible to tell the sex for certain, it's a bit young.
If it's a horsefield have a look under the Mediterranean tortoise section and Russian tortoises subsection (russian and horsefield are the same).
Pay special attention to the care sheet pinned near the top there for young russians.
Photos of the tortoise and its enclosure are always helpful if that is possible for you.
Read , learn, contribute, ask questions and have fun!
Cymru am byth!

Richabi

wales uk
Hey diolch lol will post some pics tomorrow tort sleeping at the moment thanks cymru am byth

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Rich from a fellow Welshman (well woman actually) and also a novice. You will be amazed at how much there is to learn to about tortoises and keeping them, but if you are prepared to throw out anything a pet shop has told you and follow all advice from the care sheets and very experienced keepers, as closely as possible then all answers are here and your tortoise should stay happy and healthy. Just ask whatever questions you have and someone will always be able to help or tell you where to look. So welcome and look forward to the pics. Where did you get him from?

Another useful website is www.tortoisetable.org.uk for help with plant ID and what is safe or not to feed.

Richabi

wales uk
Hey I had him from the reptile house in Pontardulais just outside Swansea to be honest they're quite unless there that's why I joined to get better advice wt part of Wales u from

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just outside Newport, I have a leopard that was found in a field last summer and was unable to trace the owner and although I had no plans to keep him he got his hooks in me, so we are stuck with each other and I have been on a very steep learning curve! But thankfully found this forum. I think there is tortoise group down your way and very highly rated reptile vets at Valley Vets in Cardiff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Richard, and welcome to the Forum!

Richabi

wales uk
Cool my sister lives in Newport that's so good of u to take it on that ttt site is great thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Two of my sisters wanted him originally but when they found out they don't hibernate and all the equipment, heat and light they need they changed their minds. I did look into rehoming him with the British Association of Tortoise Keepers (BATK) because I wasn't sure I could provide everything he needs, but after a month with me he cast his spell and I decided to do my best for him. He had lost a foot and the vet thought he could have been abandoned because they are quite expensive to keep.....so here we are - a big life changing decision!

Richabi

wales uk
Yes that's really thoughtful of you sounds like he got a good mam there lol

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Rich yes coil bulbs damage the torts eyes. Pets at Home sell Arcadia Mini D3 mvb bulbs which give uva/uvb and IR. I just bought an 80w one for £39 but think they do higher wattage and other makes as well. That was cheaper than a local reptile shop in Newport which sold me one for £45. The Range also sell variety of basking bulbs, CHEs for night use and thermostats as well. Don't bother with the red or any coloured bulbs for night as torts need complete darkness to sleep and because they see colour it distorts the way they see things. A che on a thermostat is recommended by lots of people on here.

Richabi

wales uk
Hi lyn so that bulb would do both uvb and basking do u use thermostat with yours