Newbie with shell question

Michelle D

We've had a first ever tort (RF named Spike) for about two weeks and was wondering what you all thought of ( I believe it's a her) shell. I wondered if the markings/indentations were maybe old shell rot or does it look more like life from a wild caught tort? I purchased her from a pet store.

My main concern though is the white spot on her shell that she had when I bought her, though I did not notice at the time. ( I later saw it in pics that I took of her) it's the small white spot on her right side. I've seen pics of shell rot on the bottom shell (plastron?) before but not the top. Please excuse my ignorance.

Any help appreciated!

Let me know if you can't see the pics I've included.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 64

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
She's very cute! Well the indents look normal to me, sometimes they are born with dents or tiny malformations. Here's the dent on my guy...

But the white spot I would keep an eye on. Maybe apply a fungal cream to see if it clears up.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444434273.484329.jpg

Michelle D

She's very cute! Well the indents look normal to me, sometimes they are born with dents or tiny malformations. Here's the dent on my guy...

But the white spot I would keep an eye on. Maybe apply a fungal cream to see if it clears up.View attachment 151736

Awww thanks! is there a specific kind? I've never bought any before. Like athletes foot treatment?

Beautiful pic of your gorgeous tort! thanks for sharing!

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awww thanks! is there a specific kind? I've never bought any before. Like athletes foot treatment?

Beautiful pic of your gorgeous tort! thanks for sharing!

She has a classically beautiful natural and perfectly formed shell.
Looks like she suffered a few dings along the way
but they are well healed and add character.
I like Spike.

Michelle D

I like Spike.

Wow thanks!! :) we don't mind a little character, do we? :) we love her. She is very active and CURIOUS! So funny.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We've had a first ever tort (RF named Spike) for about two weeks and was wondering what you all thought of ( I believe it's a her) shell. I wondered if the markings/indentations were maybe old shell rot or does it look more like life from a wild caught tort? I purchased her from a pet store.

My main concern though is the white spot on her shell that she had when I bought her, though I did not notice at the time. ( I later saw it in pics that I took of her) it's the small white spot on her right side. I've seen pics of shell rot on the bottom shell (plastron?) before but not the top. Please excuse my ignorance.

Any help appreciated!

Let me know if you can't see the pics I've included.
Your Tortoise looks amazing, the carapace looks in extremely good shape to me. How big is s/he. Any chance of a plastron photo please.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I like Spike.
In your opinion is this a wc or an extremely good cb. ? Are those chips on the carapace from transportation from the wild maybe?

Michelle D

Your Tortoise looks amazing, the carapace looks in extremely good shape to me. How big is s/he. Any chance of a plastron photo please.

Thanks! She's about 5 1/2 in. Hope this pic is ok. I took at this angle to hopefully get opinions about the sex. (Which I believe to be female) or is she too young still to determine yet. Also I wondered if that dark spot on plastron is normal.

I still haven't been able to figure out how to insert pic in the text but I will attach it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 54

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks! She's about 5 1/2 in. Hope this pic is ok. I took at this angle to hopefully get opinions about the sex. (Which I believe to be female) or is she too young still to determine yet. Also I wondered if that dark spot on plastron is normal.

I still haven't been able to figure out how to insert pic in the text but I will attach it.
You need a photo showing the plastron and tail area in hope to sex. Probably still too young though. It's a beauty. Is there no way you could go back to the shop you bought it from and find anything out about its history? Like where it came from.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

How are you loading your photos at the moment?

Michelle D

How are you loading your photos at the moment?

I click the "upload a file" button. But I wanted to insert it like christinaland128 did where you can see it without having to click it. Just for ease of the viewer. :) is that photo ok or do you need a better shot? I can get one when spike wakes up.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I click the "upload a file" button. But I wanted to insert it like christinaland128 did where you can see it without having to click it. Just for ease of the viewer. :) is that photo ok or do you need a better shot? I can get one when spike wakes up.
You need a photo showing the plastron and tail area.
When you have loaded the photo press the "full image" tab before posting the reply.
This is one of my babies. Turning into a right little so n so. Keeps biting me. Lol. IMG_20151010_123124.jpg

Michelle D

You need a photo showing the plastron and tail area in hope to sex. Probably still too young though. It's a beauty. Is there no way you could go back to the shop you bought it from and find anything out about its history? Like where it came from.

They were not much help with info. The workers I talked to at the shop knew very little. The sheet they gave I had to ignore because most of the info was wrong or too vague. I am finding much better info here and on other websites.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok, let's try this...
I think it's still too small to sex. Looks female at the moment, but as she grows the anal scutes may open up wider and tail grow larger. Domalle will be here with his advice soon. I'm still on the learning curve, :D and enjoying it too.