Newbie Red Foot Daddy

robbee

Location (City and/or State)
yardley
they are yearling so we got the Aivituvin-AIR18 Wooden Large Reptile Cages for Tortoise and I am going to pick up 40 gallon Aquarium for misting baths...I read on this forum to mist them twice a day for 30 minutes....and when they get bigger...we have a beautiful 20 acre mountain retreat ....

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
they are yearling so we got the Aivituvin-AIR18 Wooden Large Reptile Cages for Tortoise and I am going to pick up 40 gallon Aquarium for misting baths...I read on this forum to mist them twice a day for 30 minutes....and when they get bigger...we have a beautiful 20 acre mountain retreat ....
Calling @ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh, geez. That's a handful.
OK Firstly. Don't attempt to keep two tortoises together. Not even Redfoot.
Although groups often work when given tons of space. Pairs never do. There will be bullying. One might thrive. One will not. Both will suffer and the stress can cause death. Tortoises are solitary creatures. Not pack animals like dogs. Please ignore anything that you might read to the contrary on FACEBOOK. etc
Next. The enclosures seem way wrong. You don't want a cage and a humid aquarium. You want a constantly high humidity enclosure. A closed chamber such as a greenhouse type or terrarium setup and wooden items and enclosurs usually rot or get moldy due to the humidity.
Redfoot need an ambient temperature of around 82 day and night and humidity of at least 70% 24/7. And in this case. You'll unfortunately need two.
Only a closed chamber can replicate this (unless you move to south Florida or Hawaii)
You have chosen a very specialized tortoise species. They require special parameters to thrive.

Last edited:

robbee

yardley
ok...ty ..... I have a feeling I am going to have to tweak that enclosure, maybe just build it in two separate enclosures....as they mature will they always need the humidity? .... I read some many different things about the RFT's .... was hoping when they get older I can take them outside and let them run around. The 20 acres is in the mountains of VA/WV.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
ok...ty ..... I have a feeling I am going to have to tweak that enclosure, maybe just build it in two separate enclosures....as they mature will they always need the humidity? .... I read some many different things about the RFT's .... was hoping when they get older I can take them outside and let them run around. The 20 acres is in the mountains of VA/WV.
They'll always need high humidity. But as adults you can probably get by with some sprinkler heads. They'll need it a bit less

robbee

yardley
ok, the kids arrived yesterday and what a hoot. We felt bad for them, 24 hour delivery via UPS .... wish they would had better comfort on the way here .... no problems with temp, but have difficult time with humidity .... not because I can control it ..... more of a product issue ..... please tell me there is something better than a Reptifogger .... not impressed .... heat is being provided by one HE at 100w with thermometer and Desert UVB & Heat Lighting .... going to look at getting strip uvb lighting ....