Newbie Horsefield owner wanting advice

Rt1jen

Location (City and/or State)
I understand her concern and don't want to sweep it under the rug. My guy has ALWAYS been a good eater because I offer up a variety of foods. Telling someone to be patient and give it time isn't very encouraging.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I beg to differ.
New owners are often worried that their tortoise is not eating, or sometimes, oddly, that they eat on the first day and not thereafter.
It often helps the owners relax when they are informed that this is usual, nothing to worry about, as long as the set up and enclosure temps are right, and that, once it has settled in, the tortoise will almost certainly begin to eat.

Laura starkey

London
Yeah, like I say, they do this in British pet shops, perlite/ calcium in the substrate. Expensive, too. You can get cheaper substrate on the net or in garden centres.
Patience, she'll eat when she' get's hungry and has settled in, as long as your temperatures are good.
Rose petals are good tort food but must be completely chemical free, of course.
You are great for info so thanks. What would you recommend as the best substrate? ... I have coconut coir mixed with top soil at the moment and she seems happy enough....
she likes her rocky area at one end of her enclosure too.
I will keep trying a variety of diet until she likes something

Rt1jen

I beg to differ.
New owners are often worried that their tortoise is not eating, or sometimes, oddly, that they eat on the first day and not thereafter.
It often helps the owners relax when they are informed that this is usual, nothing to worry about, as long as the set up and enclosure temps are right, and that, once it has settled in, the tortoise will almost certainly begin to eat.
Well you can beg to differ all you want but if my guy wasn't eating I'd feel the same way and do whatever I needed to do to help him along. My newest tort started eating right away, the previous one was picky until I figured out what he liked (he preferred weeds). Always a good idea to have several different view points on any subject:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You are great for info so thanks. What would you recommend as the best substrate? ... I have coconut coir mixed with top soil at the moment and she seems happy enough....
she likes her rocky area at one end of her enclosure too.
I will keep trying a variety of diet until she likes something
The rocky area is fine, it's good to give interest to the enclosure and helps keep the nails trimmed.
I wouldn't use top soil in case the plants in it are toxic to torts, but some do. I use just coco coir but many would suggest fine grade orchid bark from the garden centre which I will be trying out soon.

Laura starkey

London
I can't reverse the bumpy shell but I can try to prevent it getting worse

Attachments

• IMG_1787.JPG
    IMG_1787.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

Rt1jen

You're doing great Laura. It's obvious you care for your tort and want the best for her:)

Laura starkey

London
I use coco coir as well. I'm in the process of finding something else to mix with it:)

Tbh she seems to prefer the rocks, but at least she's got something to dig down into at night.
Let me know how you get on with finding a good mix xxx

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I can't reverse the bumpy shell but I can try to prevent it getting worse
Yep. Humidity and daily soaks in warm water.

I for one live in Jordan (where the climate is VERY DRY). I therefore give Oli daily soaks in warm water, spray his enclosure with water each and every day, AND when it gets BOILING HOT (with temp reaching 48-50 degrees C), I give him 2-3 soaks a day.

Laura starkey

London
Yep. Humidity and daily soaks in warm water.

I for one live in Jordan (where the climate is VERY DRY). I therefore give Oli daily soaks in warm water, spray his enclosure with water each and every day, AND when it gets BOILING HOT (with temp reaching 48-50 degrees C), I give him 2-3 soaks a day.
I'm going to bathe her most days as regrettably I don't think she's ever had a bath! She was rotten dirty when she was dropped here last night! :(
I have brought a spray bottle, so do you recommend spraying the enclosure every day?
Wow, your country is HOT!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm going to bathe her most days as regrettably I don't think she's ever had a bath! She was rotten dirty when she was dropped here last night! :(
I have brought a spray bottle, so do you recommend spraying the enclosure every day?
Wow, your country is HOT!

I do realize that London is NOT as hot nor as dry as t is here. However, I'd spray the enclosure daily: "better be safe than sorry" is what I always apply. Wouldn't you agree?

How about a daily soak? You mentioned "most days" only. Please note I'm NOT being critical/harsh.I am only trying to help. OK? :)

(Yep, boiling hot in Summer, freezing cold in Winter and NO Spring/Autumn).:(

Laura starkey

London
I do realize that London is NOT as hot nor as dry as t is here. However, I'd spray the enclosure daily: "better be safe than sorry" is what I always apply. Wouldn't you agree?

How about a daily soak? You mentioned "most days" only. Please note I'm NOT being critical/harsh.I am only trying to help. OK? :)

(Yep, boiling hot in Summer, freezing cold in Winter and NO Spring/Autumn).:(
I appreciate all your help and advise!
Yes I used to bathe my last tortoise every day and he loved it. I have to say, Dave as she is now being called, hated her bath today. But that may be as she isn't used to them. I will persevere and hopefully she will learn to love them xxx

Rt1jen

Yes I used to bathe my last tortoise every day and he loved it. I have to say, Dave as she is now being called, hated her bath today. But that may be as she isn't used to them. I will persevere and hopefully she will learn to love them xxx
Yes! Keep on keeping I'm! Love London too! I visited nearly three years ago and had a ball:)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oli didn't like soaks either at the beginning. He now loves it so long as the water is nice and warm.